Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick vs. Fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lazy, May 30, 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    new to the board here, been playing for about 5 years, just wondering how many of you advocate a pick or fingerstyle and why? I always thought fingerstyle was the best way to go, then I heard Justin Chancellor!

2. pariah

pariah Guest

Apr 4, 2001
    Atlanta Georigia
    you different sounds with a pick, but you can be more versatile with your fingers

3. I agree that Justin Chancellor is absolutely amazing with a pick, but I think some of his lines (46 & 2) are easier to play with fingers... besides, your hands are were your tone is at. I don't like the plucky sound of a pick.

4. PsykoPunk

PsykoPunk Guest

May 29, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I go between picks and just finger haven't quite decided what I want to use yet!!!!
    -JaMiSin-
    remember PUNKS NOT DEAD!!!!!!

5. i use both. if i'm playing a song where there is a punk sound, so the notes wont neccasarily go "far" from the root, i prefer to use a pick, because after hitting 8ths REALLY REALLY fast, makes my pinki and ring fingers go numb on my right hand.

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i think finger playing is alright but i use a pick always, i can get a louder punchier tone when using the THICKEST picks i can find.
    see ya
    Luke

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think fingerstyle is better, I´m more comfortable with my fingers, but I also love the pick sound so I try to play with a pick too..

8. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I use Both...... depends on the song....but I prefer fingers.....

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ugh, this topic really has nine lifes...:D

Whatever sounds and feels best in a particular musical situation.
    This means for me: 90% Fingers, 10% pick

10. Yeah, I agree with the others, it just depends on the situation. I usually play fingerstyle, but if I'm playing Green Day or something where a pick would sound better, I'll use a pick.

11. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Play with your fingers! That is where your tone is and they are much more versitile. A pick can be used at certain times but don' totally transform your playing style.

12. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Too bad. I play with a pick all the time. Use whatever you want to use, not what some snob tells you to use.