Pick vs. Fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lazy, May 30, 2001.

1. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    new to the board here, been playing for about 5 years, just wondering how many of you advocate a pick or fingerstyle and why? I always thought fingerstyle was the best way to go, then I heard Justin Chancellor!
  2. pariah

pariah Guest

Apr 4, 2001
    Atlanta Georigia
    you different sounds with a pick, but you can be more versatile with your fingers
  3. I agree that Justin Chancellor is absolutely amazing with a pick, but I think some of his lines (46 & 2) are easier to play with fingers... besides, your hands are were your tone is at. I don't like the plucky sound of a pick.
  4. PsykoPunk

PsykoPunk Guest

May 29, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I go between picks and just finger haven't quite decided what I want to use yet!!!!
    remember PUNKS NOT DEAD!!!!!!
  5. i use both. if i'm playing a song where there is a punk sound, so the notes wont neccasarily go "far" from the root, i prefer to use a pick, because after hitting 8ths REALLY REALLY fast, makes my pinki and ring fingers go numb on my right hand.
  6. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    well i think finger playing is alright but i use a pick always, i can get a louder punchier tone when using the THICKEST picks i can find.
    see ya
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think fingerstyle is better, I´m more comfortable with my fingers, but I also love the pick sound so I try to play with a pick too..
  8. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I use Both...... depends on the song....but I prefer fingers.....
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ugh, this topic really has nine lifes...:D

Whatever sounds and feels best in a particular musical situation.
    This means for me: 90% Fingers, 10% pick
  10. Yeah, I agree with the others, it just depends on the situation. I usually play fingerstyle, but if I'm playing Green Day or something where a pick would sound better, I'll use a pick.
  11. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Play with your fingers! That is where your tone is and they are much more versitile. A pick can be used at certain times but don' totally transform your playing style.
  12. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Too bad. I play with a pick all the time. Use whatever you want to use, not what some snob tells you to use.