Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick vs slap/pop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sic_bassist, Sep 10, 2002.

1. i hear guys into punk that think picks r the best, then metal is about slaping and poping. personally i think both is good, just depends on what im into. i mostly into metal, but now that i found out that #2 uses a pick and its hard to hear slipknot with all 9 guys jamming out. so i need to learn to play like ryknow.

2. dtimke

dtimke

Feb 1, 2002
    Kenosha, WI
    if you like playing with a pick, play with a pick.
    if you like slapping, slap.
    if you like both techniques, use both.
    if you're afraid you won't be heard, buy a bigger amp.

3. boy howdy!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    dude i know. peeps who play punk like 2 tell u 2 do it 1 way but i think its the best way 4 u is the best way 2 play, its all up 2 u, u no? i like metal 2 but i want 2 play however is going 2 b the loudest lol so i got the new ryknow cd and i practice 2 that and i think u should 2.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think we've found a new moderator for the Technique forum

6. I wouldn't mind being a moderator.:)

7. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    #2 does in fact play with a pick and for anyone that cares, he also has a ridiculously high action, i have never played a stingray that plays like his, and i wouldn't call it a treat. I had to fight with that thing to make the notes come out. But i do love stingrays.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Neither would I, but then I start to think about the initiation rituals and I slowly get discouraged to become one.

9. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    >>i hear guys into punk that think picks r the best, then metal is about slaping and poping. personally i think both is good, just depends on what im into. i mostly into metal, but now that i found out that #2 uses a pick and its hard to hear slipknot with all 9 guys jamming out. so i need to learn to play like ryknow.

Uh...what?

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    he plays a streamer on tour. Oh well.

11. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Every time i have seen them play he has played a stingray, and im my conversations with him, he has told me that his main basses are a stingray and a fender jazz. But it has been a couple of months. Ill post agin after i see the show this wednesday.

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i know what u mean, i saw a stingray backstage at london arena while i was there, to be honest i wasnt paying much attention. OMS and AHC were there so i ended up spending alot of my time there talking/pissing about with them :)
    But at that gig he was definately playing/destroying a warwick. Yes, drum skins and warwicks dont mix ;)

13. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    WOW! how did u ppl all get backstage and meet slipknot?!?! i was at the tour with OMS and AHC! how did u get to meet them?:eek: :eek:

14. Metal about slapping and popping. :eek:
    I think it's more about using a pick and using your fingers, and I'm sure some guys feel the same way.
    Although slapping needs aggressive actions with your hand, it doesn't give an agressive overall tone.

And starting a new technique just to be more present in the mix is not right.

I had the same problem as you once sic_bassist, I played only fingerstyle and felt that my rounder, thuddier tones were lost in the sea of guitar distortion, drums and screams. Then I resorted into using a pick. The sound was quite allright, everyone liked it (they were guitarists) my sharp tones. But a pick couldn't give me as much speed and flexibility. So I took some lessons using your fingers. And starting develloping my finger technique. Wich ended up allright. Using your fingernails more, and sometimes just the flesh of your fingertips. I think fingers disassociated my sound from the guitarists, letting me be noticed now.

I don't mean to flame on you using slap technique.
    If you like the sound of it. Do it.
    If you like to play like that. Do it.
    If you can apply it to metal. Do it.
    Your ofcourse free to do as you like, do what's in your heart, even if it tells you to play with a bow. :)