1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick your poison...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dogfightgiggle, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    What’s worse, bowing Spiros or pizzing Flex 92’s?

16fuss likes this.
  2. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha. I’ve played both...

Spiro’s in 4ths for pizz but can bow can ‘em, and Flex 92 in 5ths for arco but can pizz ‘em. Possibly Flex 92 pizz is not as attractive as Spiro arco.

So Flex 92 pizz not as good as Spiro arco. Why bow Spiro and pizz Flex? Is this question a trap?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Dogfightgiggle likes this.
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I love Flex '92s for pizzicato. They get lost in a loud room or with a heavy drummer, but I think they sound and feel amazing.

...and Spirocores can be bowed.

4. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    While spiros sure can be bowed, i am always scared to do so in an professional situation. Doing some solo on spiro is no problem, but when it comes to stringchanges AND legato while playing moneynotes, i hate them.
    Flexocore is nice to pizz at home, but i had always bad luck in a bandsetting. I play fulltime in an windorchestra which plays everything from the last 300 years. I prefer not being heard pizz over being embaressed arco.
    Since the Flexocore feel to stiff on my bass, i think about Passione. What do you think??

5. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    ...here you can see me trying to bow spiros. It does not look problematic. But the same bass in halfposition, bowed and amplified:bored::rollno::vomit::thumbsdown:

panos, Fretless55, Fat bob and 5 others like this.
  6. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Bowing spirocores. I literally won't use any other low strings - I mean, 9/10 cellists agree, right? Best low strings on the market. the low B, in particular, is a gem.

I've had them under everything from original flatchromes, to dominants, to wound guts, to now plain gut (though I think the plain E I have is destined for the string bin). They're unkillable, they're loud, they have a great core sound, and they have enough definition to make your lowest notes sound clear while keeping their heft.

7. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I have a Flex 92 solo E (tuned to D) string with a gut G and it feels great.

Dogfightgiggle and eerbrev like this.
  8. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    pizz on flex imo

9. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    Haha, no trap. I’m trying to decide which way to go with an upcoming change and I want to try one of the classic offerings. I have Obligatos on now which came with the bass, but they’re at least four years old.

Right now I’m all classical, but I plan on getting into some jazz study this year. Spiros sound appealing because I probably will stick with whatever I choose for a very long time.

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    In my opinion, if you are not gigging and/or playing jazz with dynamic bands, Flex '92s will not hamper your jazz studies in any way and will be much more enjoyable for your classical work. Spirocores really become worth it in non-controlled environments.

Either choice, though, is a tradeoff. There is a broad market of strings (like Obligatos) which are intended to be the best of both worlds or a compromise that leaves you in the middle somewhere.

Dogfightgiggle and 16fuss like this.
  11. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    You might consider Spiro weich. Put on and forget ‘em for a few decades.

Spiro weich’s are on Geoff’s ‘Discover Double Bass’ bass. It sounds great bowed by David Moore and great pizz’d by jazzers.

Of course every bass is different and some strings are just the right choice for your particular bass and needs. I have all Spiro on one bass and 3 different makes on another.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  12. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    Are you referring to amplified situations as well?

Nothin’ wrong with that! What strings are you playing at the moment?

Also, is that bow as much of a powerhouse as it seems?

So you have no real complaints about the response of the low strings?

13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    First of all, it's been a long time. Here's what I remember:

I loved how they felt and how they sounded. I stuck with them for a while, but on gigs in less than optimal circumstances, I had trouble hearing myself clearly. A friend sat in on one such night and from the back of the room, he sounded great on my bass. The sound carried well and sounded in the room as it did at home, but it didn't travel up to my ear that clearly when I was playing.

I wish I still had them, I'd love to revisit them. But that's what I remember.

14. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    none at all! I don't use any special rosin or anything, or even layer it on - in fact I don't use much rosin. Idunno, maybe I sound bad! lol. There's a clip of me playing in my latest response to my four gut strings post, though only one note is on the spirocore B. The plain gut E is serious work in comparison.

15. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I play another bass (with flex92) at the moment. The five string only works with SMittels or FlexDeluxe since it is very dark and needs serious pressure.
    I was not looking at this video again before posting. Now I did and you are right. Maybe the problem is more in my head...

The bow solved half of the problems! Now I am working with "incredibly useful exercises" to solve the other half. I hope I will be a much better bassist after corona.

16. I found them ok to be played arco, but it largely will depend on the bow and the rosin you use.

PBandJazzBass likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021