1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picked up a crown xls2000. What settings are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jun 5, 2011.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I just got a sweet deal on a crown xls2000 that I am going to add to my bass rack. I'm using a BBE bMax preamp and a Markbass traveler 15 cab (400 watts at 8ohms). I will use the amp in stereo mode (375 at 8 a side) with the cab. I can always add another cab win I need more volume.

Anyone who already uses an xls amp- what settings are you using on the amp? Are you setting the high pass filter? To what frequency?

Thanks for the info

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No HPF. Tried it and didn't like it.

Bridged, limiter on, that's it.

3. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    What's the benefit of running it bridged to put out 1300 watts at 8 when my cab only handles 400?

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends on the cab. Bass has a lot of dynamic range, so if your cab can handle 1000w transients but 400w thermal, you'll get louder than you would redlining your amp at 400w without as much dynamic power on tap.

5. I use mine Input Y, Limiter ON, HPF@50hz.

50hz is the lowest freq for HPF I'd rather just a smudge lower but most cabs arn't that great below about 50hz anyway. I don't seem to lose much low end, seems to just tighten it up a bit, and I know my cabs arn't working too hard.

Channel A sees an 8ohm load in the form of a Carvin LS1503 3-way PA cab. I have bridged into this cab(1050w) but that is a little much and the cab works really hard(but man is it loud!)

Channel B sees another 8 ohm load in the form of a no-name 18" sub.

I stack the two cabs so I can get the 6" and tweet of the LS1503 closer to my ears, Then dial in the 18" till it just fills out the sound.

I bridged the XLS2000 into both cabs once (>2000w) fried my 15" and the 6" :( I like that running a pre- poweamp setup allows you to use any combination of cabs.

Remember that watts alone don't equal volume, watts+speaker area = volume. If you don't get enough volume out of one cab, Bridging will drive it harder(and closer to it's limits) and give you a lil more volume but adding another cab fills out the sound alot more than bridging a single(cab).

Have fun with your new amp, I'm lovinng mine!

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    try crossing-over these two cabs, you may be pleasantly surprised.

7. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010
    Here's mine. One channel of the Crown goes to a Carvin BRX10.2Neo and the other channel drives an Accugroove El Whappo.

8. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I have a question.

If the limiter is on and set to -3db, does that mean if I'm bridging at 1,000 watts, the limiter comes on at 500watts?

9. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    bump so hopefully someone can answer that^

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You've got me, tried Crown support?