1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

picked up a db

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jonly, May 15, 2006.

1. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    from a gentleman in Cincinnati for $600, my problem is that it's my first urb and I'm a little confused on the model number/year. It's an engelhardt, but the tag says M1 instead of EM1, any ideas on what time frame these were produced in?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Yep, it looks just like my Engelhardt, even the tag is the same, but mine says its an EM1. Could it be that yours goes back to when Engelhardt-Link first took over the business from Kay?

3. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    I have inquired, and here is their response:
    "Model EM-1 or M-1 serial # 66538 was shipped out on 1/03/1996."

I have no idea where the E went to.

4. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    mystery solved:
    "It's just the way the packer wrote it. The M-1 & EM-1 are the same.

Thank You,

Engelhardt-Link,Inc.
    "

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    That packer needs to be a bit less lazy!

6. BigDaveOnBass

BigDaveOnBass

May 16, 2006
    I won an auction last night on eBay for what I hope will be not only be a great first upright bass, but eventually a great investment piece. I'm really excited!

db_1.
    e1_1.
    05_1.

7. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Nice :)

I always sudder when I see a bass lying on it's back like that :p But I guess it's not really a big deal if it's just for a minute to take a picture.

Hope she treats you well ;)

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, yes, given the danger that someone might step on it! I had a luthier tell me that transporting a bass on its back (with support for the neck) is quite safe. No?

9. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Well the key thing there is the "with support for it's neck". That's the only reason I hate seeing a bass sitting like that.

Only time I'm really comfortable with a bass not being held by someone is when it's leaning bridge-first into a corner. Even lying on it's side makes me thing someone's going to try and step over it. :help:

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I agree. I've been "Mr. Paranoid" about all this for 35 years! I won't even lean my precious child into a corner. Hey, it might scuff the finish. I put it in a stand and post an armed guard.

I often transport it in a vehicle on its back (with pressure relieved from the neck).

Cheers.

11. Wolzly

Wolzly

Oct 16, 2005
    Vehicle transportation (especially, for example, a 2-door) can be a real challenge I think. Being a smaller guy it's even taxing sometimes lugging it up stairs or whatnot.

But as far as scratching the finish I'm not quite as religious as some. I learned to gain respect for my bass when I accidentally rammed it into a corner in a concrete-foundation basement. Cracked in a huge section of the lower rib. Gave the bass a horrible wolf on A (well accentuated one already there).

Cost me less than I thought it would to repair but I sure learned quick to treat it with respect :)