1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picked up a Gallien Kruger Backline 210 combo. I need some help with it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TUEP, Sep 16, 2008.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Its seems like (according to my band mates) loud enough, and for some reason it is when you back away from it. Yet, up close its hard to hear agianst a wall of distortion. My guitarist has a very loud rig with a Marshall Super Lead Cab, and a Scott Ian wall of distortion.

Now when I am standing back with him I can kinda hear my bass but not a lot. When I walk up to where the singer is I can hear it a lot better.

The GK 210 doesn't have the tone that my Ampeg B-100R has, but it has more volume and punch.

I just don't see why I can't hear it as well until I back away from it.

Also the mids on this GK (my first GK) are kinda different to what I am used to. They seem to be really strong. Especially that low mid.

Another thing I was thinking of doing was replacing the Backline 10's in the combo. What would be a good choice to put in them. I was thinking of those GK Neo's or possibly some higher end Ampeg speakers. Its seems the only weakness on this amp maybe the speakers.

Founder of B.A.D.O.T.G bass club.
    Conformer is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2. The Backline is GK's entry level/budget line of amps so no surprise that you might be having issues. I am not sure if it would be worth upgrading the speakers or not. I wouldn't. I would look for a 400 combo and get into the GK Artist Series. A giant leap above the Backline. IMO.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It sounds to me that the Backline is doing exactly what it's designed to do. Louder than the B100R but not as good a tone-I agree. Hard to hear against a wall of distortion-of course. It's hard to hear anything with all that going on.

Unless you can get the others to turn down, which is unlikely, you'll have to make the best of what that amp can do. Cut back some of the bass. Boost the mids a bit but not too much on the lower mids. Back off the contour control. You'll get a thinner and less warm sound that will be heard over the clatter.

Don't try to improve on the speakers in that combo. The cabinet and speakers were designed to work together and the cabinet is tuned for those exact speakers. Dropping a lot of money on Neos won't likely do anything good and could even sound worse. Better to trade the amp in and get something more powerful. The Backline is the cheap, made in China line from GK designed to compete with the other cheap Asian stuff on the market. For the price it's okay. But if you want good sound at higher volumes you have to pay for it. Look at one of the other lines from GK. GK makes excellent gear in their USA made line and is what I usually use.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well since everybody else gave you the down on this combo i will give you the up. I have owned this combo for about 6 years. I giged it quite a bit in a classic rock band with two guitarists with big rigs and a loud drummer with no problems what so ever. I ran it on top of a Fender/sunn 4-10 cab and it was killer with tons of headroom. I did the same in a loud rock band later with a guitarist using a stack and i added an outboard pre to color my passive basses. I blew the doors off at gigs ticking off soundmen near and far.

The problem is the speakers in the BL210 they are junk really and fart out if you push them. With a 5 string the B blows them out easy. The head is the GK600 which is a kick butt budget head it has good power and loud for its watts.
    When i stacked this with a cab it became a killer rig. Alone it was a good practice amp...maybe a small gig amp.

My combo is only used now for practice but did its job for years. I got alot of compliments on my tone and would tell everyone who complained of its huge volume that it was less than 300 watts with a smile.Try adding another cab and see where you go. Changing the speakers might help who knows but i would get a good 4X10 first.

6. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Bassbully has some good advice. The BL210 runs at 200 watts as is. When you get an extention cab you get the whole 300 watts, and once stacked is a lot louder when you are right on top of it. Just make sure you get an 8 ohm cab (a 15" would round your sound out nicely but the BL115 is not great).

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'll take the in-between position. In the long run, you're gonna want a bigger, better amp. But, for the time being, try an ext. cab. A good 15 would be perfect, or even a 210. Alot cheaper than buying a new amp, and a solid fix for your volume issue. (the tone is another thing, some people like it, you've already discovered it could be better, I don't like it at all. No wrong answers). Good luck.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I ran my 210 combo with a 15 carvin at smaller gigs and it was real nice fat and warm with plenty of power. I will say thou from what he says about his guitarist's setup i would go to a 4x10 for max effect. You are right needs to be 8 ohms. I cant tell you guys enough how this head sounds thru 6-10's huge! 300 watts was plenty. Tom's dead on about the BL cabs they are total dog poo.... run from them.

9. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I had the same problem, but I was playing in a roots rock band with a lead guitarist playing through a mesa boogie 50 watt 4x10 combo and an acoustic guitarist. The drummer was not loud either and usually played a smaller kit. The rooms we played in were small to medium. These speakers are horrible, they constantly distorted, but not a good distortion. When we played in a larger hall, I could barely hear the amp. It sounds great when I practice at home, but I didn't find it to be practical for gigging. I don't play in a band now, but I'll eventually replace it when I'm gigging again. I have to mention that I usually walked away from gigs very disappointed with my sound. You experienced cats know how much a good clear sound helps improve your performance.

I would imagine a better cab would help, but why keep the combo if all you're going to use is the head?

10. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I got a 4x10 for it and its a wall of sound. I can also utilize the dirty channel more with it. :hyper::bassist:

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    The closer you get to it more off you get from the speaker axis. Raise the combo to ear height and you'll be fine. Or incline it...