Picked up a Genz Benz GBE 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smallequestrian, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Always on the lookout for a good deal, espescially when I have a little extra money, I ran into one this weekend. I was in Austin to jam with my brother and I noticed there was a TB'er selling one in Austin. So I went over with my Bongo and my Berg 210s and dinked around for a little bit. Didn't take me long to decide to take it and got it for 320. Thanks Jeff!

The GBE 500:
    285w/425w/575w at 8/4/2ohms
    Tube pre (not sure what kind of tube) and Fet pre with individual gain controls With adjustable Harmonics and Saturation controls (whatever that means)
    4 band EQ(I hardly ever play with the EQ set anywhere other than flat though)

As I mentioned I played with my bro and his two friends (two guitars and drums) and found my little Ashdown head competive (200w@8ohm), but definately didn't have that much headroom. However, it sounds great at apartment levels and that is my main use for it.

I had read before that Genz Benz amps were fairly conservatively rated, and I would have to agree. The Bergie is not the most effecient cab but the 500 has no problem driving it. Makes me think this would be a great head once I get the matching Bergie ex112s. The tone is real nice espescially with the blendable tube/fet gains. You can even dial in a little overdrive which is something I have never had before. The tone is actually very similar to the Ashdown, just more of it.

Only downside so far is the fan is louder than the Ashdown. Gonna play with both for awhile and will sell one of them soon. The 500 kills the Ashdown MAG 300 performance wise and it has a real substantial build quality to it, but you would expect/hope that since the 500 went for 800ish new vs. 300 for the MAG. FYI, where the dials are set on both heads, they are producing similar volume.

Sorry for the long post, I am just kind of infatuated/intrigued by my latest find, and wanted to share.

Here are a couple pics.
  2. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Nice stuff. Congrats! :bassist:
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    still waiting to hear more specifics about that shallow Berg cab, man.
  4. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    hey that head looks familiar :D

glad your enjoying it, it is pretty cool.
    i wanna say it was a 12ax7 tube for the pre but i'm just going off of memory and it tends to be short term.....