Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picked up a Led Zepplin DVD set today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Shows them live in 1970 at the Albert Hall (didn't see any holes!) I had heard some of that performance, but seeing it puts a new spin on it. They rock.

2. Is this the "How the West was Won" DVD set? If so, yes, it does rock.

3. That Royal Albert Hall show is the Cat's Pajamas.

I especially like I Can't Quit You, especially after hearing it for so long on Coda.

4. olesne

olesne

Mar 25, 2005
    THAT FIRST CONCERT ON THAT DVD IS INTENSE. I LOVE IT BECAUSE THERE ARE NO LAZER SHOWS OR CRAZY COSTUMES. JUST LED ZEP ON A PRATICALLY BLACKED OUT STAGE BANGING OUT TUNES. WE HEAR LED ZEP ON THE RADIO EVERY TEN MINUTES, SO IT IS EASY TO FORGET HOW GREAT THEY WERE. IT IS HARD TO WATCH THAT PERFORMANCE AND NOT SAY THEY ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.

"SNAKE PLISKON?.........MAN I THOUGHT YOU WAS DEAD."
    -ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK-

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Good move..ane yes, they do. :smug:

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This set is untitled, but has the Albert Hall, Madison Square Garden, Knebworth and Earl's Court shows. I read a Ted Nugent interview were he said of Page "....he is the king of slop," and it's true. Bonham and Jones are soooo good, he can stink and look great at the same time.

In my opinion, there has never been anyone who can lay down a heavier groove than John Bonham. These Nu Metal drummers ain't got nothin' on him. Col. Bruce Hampton is not "the daddy of us all," Bonham is.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you guys consider Zep Metal?.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Nope. Not metal

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ten times more metal than 95% of the tripe we get today, that's for dang sure.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not Metal, just punch. Bonham and Jonesy hammered it home. Page & Plant, they had their moments.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    My Favorite is the Denmark Radio Super Show from the Extras on the First disc. Young, Hungry and on Fire!!

How Many More Times!

Aj

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    The "How the West Was Won" DVD set = amazing

13. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Amen. Same with "babe I'm Gonna Leave You".

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is a VH1 program that called them the #1 Heavy Metal Band of all time.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They vitually created the genre on their own and loads of subsequent bands took parts of what they did and bashed away at it for years - but Led Zep had more going for them and played very varied sets, with all types of music.

They weren't as "monotonous" as what people think of as "Heavy Metal" today!!

I think Led Zep were too good, to be classed simply as Heavy Metal! :)

16. The one where all the kids are sitting on the floor, not quite knowing what to make of this "rock and roll" stuff?

17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    To me, "heavy metal" doesn't fit LZ. They played some heavy stuff (and power blues,) but also played alot of acoustic stuff. They could do it all.

18. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Seems like I remember a part of the book "Hammer of the Gods", a Zep bio, which said the term "heavy metal" originated with a DJ who was trying to describe the kind of music Led Zeppelin produced???

Can anyone confirm?

EDIT
    Found this on google

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Led Zeppelin is heavy metal.

Everyone after them is just a poor imitation. Led Zeppelin literally invented the genre. What most "heavy metal" bands of today don't get is that heavy metal music is more than just being loud, fast and obnoxiously repetitive.

Zeppelin drew from musical sources that apparently today's metal bands don't/can't grasp. Zeppelin played all kinds of music, but it was typically their heavier stuff that became popular.

I have to laugh everytime I hear a heavy metal band of today (or even the last 15-20 years) playing a song that starts with an acoustic guitar and soft lyrics, and then goes into the obligatory power chords and loud screaming. As if they are trying to do their version of Stairway to Heaven (say what you will of that song...but there's a reason it's overplayed).

Led Zeppelin was original and creative. Something today's metal bands lack. Today's "metal" is so monotonous and redundant, even from song to song on the same album.

Led Zeppelin is heavy metal; They are the reason it exists. The rest are simply Zeppelin wannabes that fail miserably at that.

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That Led Zep DVD set rocks! I love how DVD 2 opens with Immigrant Song SO HEAVY and the black and white jerk-motion-camera footage. Makes me want to start throwing chairs. Good times.