1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picked up a new bass yesterday!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Just went and took some photos...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it yet, but here is one I found on the web.

It's a 24 fret Fender Deluxe Quilt Maple Top, active electronics, hipshot tuners, string through body.

I bought it at a Guitar Center.....this was my first time to ever visit a guitar center and now I totally understand what everyone is talking about from the wankers to the less than knowledgable over confident salesmen.
    I was trying to get the best deal I could possibly get and I think I did pretty good. After looking at all the online sites selling these basses they are all $699.99. I got mine for $699.25 w/ tax and everything plus a hardshell case, a set of Chromes, and a nice leather strap. :p

This bass plays amazing! It's neck is thin like a jazz but it's a bit chunkier from front to back like a P-bass.
    I went looking for a Bongo originally but they only had one and it was a 5 string.

Overall my experience was pretty good, there were a couple of salesmen that were a bit too anxious to show me and my buddy what guitars they thought were cool or "awesome".....but after a while they scattered and the real salesmen that would spend some time with you and listen to what you were looking for came around and made a sale.

yadda, yadda, yadda........I just wanted to share my excitement with this amazing bass, originally I never would have thought of getting a Jazz with out a pickguard but after playing this one I couldn't let it go. :D

2. i've heard mixed reviews on those things....what do you think about it

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nice looking bass! What's the electronics package? Is it a two-band? What's that switch do?

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    the stacked knobs are treble boost/cut and bass boost/cut, there is a seperate knob for mid boost/cut, a master volume knob, pan knob and the switch is a scoop "slap" switch.

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Grats! That is a looker for sure :bassist:

6. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I just got one of those, too, and for the price, nothing beats it...

7. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Very nice looking bass. Congratulations. :bassist:

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I just bought one also. I have had it a couple of weeks and I think it's great.

I had some problems with mine so I will will warn you that you better bring a back up with you if you havent changed the battery in the pre-amp. As soon as I changed mine I started having problems and it crapped out about 12 bars into a song. Change out the cheapo battery now and see if the pre-amp blows. I don't know why this happens but I have found out that it happens when you change the battery for the first time. Maybe some electronics expert could shed some light on that.

The rumor is that Fender had a problem with the pre-amps on the first couple of production runs. They have supposedly fixed the problem so I hope you got one with the updated electronics. I called Fender about this and they denied it but the folks at GC said that they have returned quite a few of them with blown pre-amps.

I returned mine to GC and they ordered me another one. This one has had no electronics issues but the fretwork was iffy. I sent ot out and had it set up, put EB Hybrid Slinky's on it and had the frets dressed. Now it's amazing.

Heres mine.

Attached Files:

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I think the battery has already been changed out on mine. It had an Energizer battery in it when I got it home. I always bring a back up, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I posted some pictures in the first post. Check 'em out.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Your bass has a nicer quilt than mine. :crying:

Enjoy it. Once set up, this bass is amazing for the money.

Nice pictures. How do you get them so clear? I have to compress mine to get them to upload and they come out really small and crappy.

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I use my mother's Olympus 5.0 megapixel digital camera.......not really sure how to explain it, I just take 'em and they come out good. ;)

I upload mine to one of my band's website server after making the images smaller in Photoshop.

I'm looking forward to my first gig with her this week!!

12. Congrats on the bass! That's a killer looking J.

13. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Hey man nice bass great value for the money. Check your intonation, seems way out by looking at the picture.

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks! True, I haven't checked the intonation yet....