Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picked up a new Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub56, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    It's a 44-01 Skyline in Sunburst, Bart MK-1s, one missing knob, 2 scratches on the back plate, and a "hair off centered neck". The neck is perfectly fine, good intonation, action, and feel. I paid 415 for it from Musicians Friend warehouse.

It puts out some great tones, very punchy and warm with a lot of bite if desired.

[​IMG]
    The Lakland

[​IMG]
    The Warwick, Lakland, Jazz, and Stingray

2. beautiful. hows it treatin ya? i like that jazz's pickguard too.

3. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I'm really loving it so far, the action is super low, I might tweak the truss a bit to get rid of some buzz, but it plays like a dream and sounds killer.

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Nice bass, great deal! They got anymore?

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, you have all your tonal bases coveres with your, erm, basses. ;)

Congrats on the new axe.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Nice pickup. Where did you get that jazz pickguard? Very cool esp. w/ the block inlaid neck.

7. I played that exact bass earlier at Muscians Friend, I'm thinking your in K.C. too.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Please, for the love of God, take that pickguard off that Jazz.

9. See ya can't please everybody!

Did you call for that deal or was it advertised?? ( I;d sure like a passive 5'er at that kind of price! and not an MIM Jazz, they suck).

Nice "trophy room" !

10. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    i second that motion,
    (unless he plays in a ska band)

11. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the compliments

I play a lot of ska, that's the motive behind it, and some like it some don't

BuffaloBass, the Musicians Friend warehouse and retail center is here in KC so all the returns and blemished gear comes there and is open to buy for fairly cheap.

12. Seriously, take it off and SEND IT TO ME! :D That is the most awesome pickguard I have ever seen. :bassist:

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can do stuff like that if you're in a ska band. I think it's in the union handbook. Checkerboard patterns wherever you can.

14. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I've got a strap (and shoelaces) to match :p

15. i was watching tv when the new years ball dropped and the bassist for mary j blige was using one of those, really great tone, i never knew it could sound like that.

16. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    This bass surprised me with the sound and feel, I played one before with a humbucker and a J and it wasn't set up to my tastes, but then this one just hooked me.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice :)

18. i don't have anything agianst laklands. they sound great and people love them. But doesn't it look to you like the strings/neck/pickups/bridge don't actually run through the center of the body? The whole thing just looks kindof off balance to me. Also on some of the laklands I've seen with a 3 color sunburst theirs actually a line of the center/base color in between the 2nd and 3rd colors

19. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    nah,bass is at a slight angle to the camera,i think.

20. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    I think I know what you mean, It definitely is right that the upper half of the bass is bigger than the lower half, but It doesn't seem off balance when I play it.

I'm not quite sure on the sunburst line, got any examples? Mine goes black, reddish, then into the middle color.