1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picked up a nice little practice amp this weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Grabbed a Fender Squire BP-15 for $109 CDN ($70 USD).
    As I said, it's just for personal basement practice. When I use the 8 ohm extension cab out to a floor monitor it actually sounds pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.;)

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    SO THERE!!!!

3. I hate it when no one responds to someone's thread! Congrats, Barfly. I wish you many happy hours of practicing with it.

Mike J.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm happy to hear that. months a go i bought a practice amp. it was cheap and i use it everyday, i'm really happy with it!
    ;)

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Thanks guys.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i wish i had something small enough that i could carry along with a bass in a gig bag and be set for a gig, but that's loud enough to compete with a jazz combo type situation, that's good for electric and upright, that i could practice with, and that had a good line out for computer recording.

jason

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    me too, Warwick5S.

8. and cooked food, and mixed drinks ;)

IMO the little practice amps have the greatest tone in the world. I think it is because there is so little electronics screwing up the sound. They are just pure bass. I too wish I had the sound of a practice amp that could compete with a full band. IMHO all large amps, are just trying to achieve the simple sounds of an ideal practice amp.

I will probably get a lot of S*** for that, but I always do anyway.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wasn't SWR saying that some big time bassist uses an LA-8 miked as his PA sound?

but i dunno - i haven't heard anything so far that compares to the interstellar overdrive, but that's a pretty simple unit so i can see what you mean.

THAT'S IT! they should make a combo out of the interstellar overdrive! hmm....maybe it's time to find a used one for a project :)

jason