Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picked up a nice little practice amp this weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Grabbed a Fender Squire BP-15 for $109 CDN ($70 USD).
    As I said, it's just for personal basement practice. When I use the 8 ohm extension cab out to a floor monitor it actually sounds pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.;)

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  3. I hate it when no one responds to someone's thread! Congrats, Barfly. I wish you many happy hours of practicing with it.

Mike J.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm happy to hear that. months a go i bought a practice amp. it was cheap and i use it everyday, i'm really happy with it!
    ;)

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i wish i had something small enough that i could carry along with a bass in a gig bag and be set for a gig, but that's loud enough to compete with a jazz combo type situation, that's good for electric and upright, that i could practice with, and that had a good line out for computer recording.

jason

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    me too, Warwick5S.

8. and cooked food, and mixed drinks ;)

IMO the little practice amps have the greatest tone in the world. I think it is because there is so little electronics screwing up the sound. They are just pure bass. I too wish I had the sound of a practice amp that could compete with a full band. IMHO all large amps, are just trying to achieve the simple sounds of an ideal practice amp.

I will probably get a lot of S*** for that, but I always do anyway.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wasn't SWR saying that some big time bassist uses an LA-8 miked as his PA sound?

but i dunno - i haven't heard anything so far that compares to the interstellar overdrive, but that's a pretty simple unit so i can see what you mean.

THAT'S IT! they should make a combo out of the interstellar overdrive! hmm....maybe it's time to find a used one for a project :)

jason