Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picked up a Raven Labs PHA-1...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Carota, May 31, 2003.

1. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Came home yesterday to find my new (used, in like-new condition) Raven Labs PHA-1 waiting for me on the doorstep.

[​IMG]

This is a great little headphone amp to practice with. First off, the tone is very clean, second, there is no hiss to be heard. With a little boost of the bass on the three-band eq, my Warwick sounded great. The ability to attach my Discman to it, along with the left and right mix volumes is a really nice feature - great for transcribing songs. I'm definately glad I picked this up.

2. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    sounds wicked. im looking for a decent headphone amp, im in the uk anyone know where i can get one? could i order a raven labs or fodera one do u think? would they ship over here? many thanx

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I got mine Here

Great little practice tool !!

PJR

4. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Raven Labs site has a list of U.S. and international dealers here. The U.K. dealers are at the bottom of the page.

5. Could you hook up your preamp to this little headphone amp?

6. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    There is a line out that allows you to send the signal to another amp.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just started thinking about getting one of these.

Does it retain that "straight out of the bass" tone that is brittle and annoying, or is it smoother, like a mic'd speaker? Or can it all be dialed?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's pretty much the former, I wouldn't describe it as brittle but dry. There's bass / mid / treble to eq the sound but it's still a fairly dry sound. If you want to hear the exact sound of your bass, this is the one. Maybe the Cafe Walter too, I've never tried one.

The Fodera headphone practice amp is great too, that's more of a preamp with a warmer sound. Or the Korg pandora?

9. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    It does faithfully reproduce the sound of your bass, but it does not sound brittle or annoying. The EQ section helps nicely in this department. I ran my Warwick through the PHA-1 with a flat EQ and was very pleased with the tone.

The headphones you use make a difference, too. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's and found a big difference in EQ response. After I used mine, I borrowed a pair of Audio-Technicas from a friend and found the tone to be very dry, no matter what the EQ settings on the PHA was.

10. whoa....I'm sure that'll come in handy.

I like my Ibanez 10 watt bass amp though:)

It gets really growling almost to a point of distortion past 10 o'clock :meh:

but I love it *hugs*

:p :oops:

11. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I had one for a while and really liked it. I was considering using it as my main preamp on a super-small rig (e.g. EA 110 cab and a Stewart PA-200 half-rack amp!)

but things didn't work out (long story) and now I use a Sansamp into my little behringer mixer, so I don't really need a headphone amp anymore. It did give a fantastic, clean tone. Pricey, but there's not really another option (to my knowledge) for a good quality headphone preamp.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Sansamp was probably the best gizmo that made a dry sound very wet, like it was amped. When I had one, I debated on getting a mini headphone amp to run it through, but sold it before trying that.

Is there one of these that does the "cab simulation" thing? I've heard the guitar Pandoras and hated them, so I would be surprised if the bass one is really worth the scratch.
    The Cafe Walter looked neat, but it's only battery powered and there is no EQ.
    The cheap ones seem like they'd blow.
    Didn't Sadowsky make one before?

13. I chose the Cafe Walter because I needed one device to give me the absolute unvarnished truth about my bass and technique. Everything else I own adds flavoring. For practice, it's merciless, just what I need. It's great for adjusting pickup height and bass troubleshooting. Also, it's a must for bass shopping. You can carry it around from place to place and there's no way the try-out amp or room acoustics enter into your decision. As someone pointed out, quality headphones are the key to making a hi-fi unit work. I use an old pair of Sony MDR-V6 that you can sometimes find on eBay for around $50, an all-time best buy. But anyway, about the Cafe Walter, the designer/builder is a bassist who views his creations like his own children and their owners as adoptive parents. He's super friendly and fair and even though I bought used, I got tons of help from him. Great stuff.

14. I have the Cafe Walter as well (Thanks Dude!) and it is perfect for my needs. No frills and it really lets you know what your bass sounds like. I happen to like that it's so simple. I use it with my laptop that way I can play along with CDs or MP3s.

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I see how having something like that is great, it shows every detail. But what if you want to tweak that out of it? What if you know what your bass sounds like and you want something that makes it sound better (thru headphones)?

16. Good point. In my case most of my basses are active and have an on-board EQ. It also helps that my players are all pretty good sounding basses fundamentally.

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The fodera headphone practice amp is the best I've ever tried. It needs to use a wall wart however, so not the most portable. But if that's not an issue, then that's the best sounding one IMO

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I just received my CafeWalter HA-1 courtesy of Steve Barr (great guy to deal with) and I couldnt be happier. It was a bit of a hassle to get it here to Australia, but the results are worth it.

The sound is fantastic, much better than I imagined and it really does show you just how much your amp / cabs colour the sound of your basses.

Would definately recommend one of these to anyone!

19. Interesting...I'll check it out if I'm looking for a headphone amp!

thanks

20. No-one really answered to this so... I'll try this again. :)