Picked up an MXR EVH Flanger last night.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm surprised by how great this thing sounds. Really smooth and liquid, adding to and augmenting the tone instead of just creating a woosh of idiotic jet noise over your clean tone. One of my favorite features is the EVH button, which is a preset that bypasses the knobs... which is actually, a really great, traditional flanger sound. I have the knobs dialed in to a fast leslie/phaser sound, and then use the EVH button to switch to a more traditional flanger tone. It's great! It isn't really much use with my Musket, though. After it, it overemphasizes the filter sweep and it sounds terrible. Before it, it's almost too subtle but on my faster setting I can get a kind of vibrato effect on longer sustained notes, so I run it first. The only real complaint is having to use an 18v power supply... which I'm only complaining about because companies like FEA have figured out a way around that... but I'm perfectly willing to have to deal with that small inconvenience for the great tone, headroom, and frequency response I'm getting from this thing.

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the button engages the sound heard on guitar on the song "unchained"

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    hey- i wasnt 100% clear which order you liked or disliked, but i always found flanger-fuzz (or, even better, a zvex machine) to be pretty cool, and the reverse to just be... unusable, i suppose.

then again, ive only got the tc electronics chorus/flanger deal, and its what i would consider a bit subtle, but crisp. maybe the mxr isnt so much the same. subtle is useful, but i like the option of absolute insanity.

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I definitely prefer the flanger first, not because it's great but because after is unusable (for me, anyway).

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021