1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picked up my Berg NV-610 yesterday...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocky55, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I bought it off eBay last week. The seller said he would drive up to 1.5 hours to meet me. I still had to drive for 5.5 hours to get it but I brought a friend with me a turned it into a road trip. The weather was great and I brought some old tapes of my dad playing with a local country band back in '78/79... but I digress....

I brought the seller a case of great canadian beer... my favorite Moosehead, for his troubles. After 11 hours of driving, I managed to play through it for 10 minutes as I had to put the kids down. I hooked up my Lakland 55-94 through the iAMP800 and the NV-610. It was almost the sound I've been looking for. I say almost because I think I need a DB750 or an all tube head to complete the sound. :eek:

What I noticed was that I could hear every little adjustment I made on my bass, and ALL those sounds were useable. I really like my EA cabs as well (CXL112s and NL210), but I find that if I was to boost the mids on the bass with the EA, the cabs sound a little over-powered, if I moved to the bridge pickup too much, it sounds too "nasally" and boosting the treble gives me hiss. However, on the Berg, a boost of the mids resulted in more cut, boosting the lows or engaging the Deep switch at loud volume just meant HUGE lows, while moving to the bridge pickup(s) meant a more aggressive tone à la Musicman or almost vintage J-bass sound. I tried cranking the treble all the way up and I could hear NO hiss at all - thanks to the lack of tweeter. This cab's got balls!!!

When I first plugged in I thought it sounded a little too dark, but it turned out that I was just used to the very clear EA sound. I found that a little tweaking went a long way and I could achieve a ton of great tones. I bought the cab mainly for rock gigs, but I think I just might end up using it on all my gigs (classic/new country, classic/new rock, blues, folk).

I'm very happy with my purchase. The cab was bought new 8 months ago and is still mint. It's a decend size and I took it down the stairs by myself fairly easily. Now I can't wait for my next gig. Thanks TB for steering me toward this great cab!

BTW, what would be the best place to get a cover for this thing? Directly through Jim?

Rocky :hyper:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Congrats. Yes, I believe the only place to get the padded cover for it is through Jim (it's made by LeCover). I believe LeCover will sell you a unpadded cover for a lot less, but you can only get the padded one from Jim...

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    You can get the cover from Jim directly, or any Bergantino dealer. They are the same price at either.
    Corey

4. Thanks Corey. Actually, the cab originally came from your store.

R

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Welcome to the NV club Rocky55. Its good to hear from a first time NV610 user again. I've had mine for 3 months and still remember that first, (NV610-high) very well...:hyper:
    This cab is cool around the house or studio, but the stage is were you will find, it really shines.

If you go out tube-amp shopping, try-out a Mesa 400+ with your cab. This combination has kept me gas free, for 3 months and counting.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I could easily look this up on the Bergantino web site, but is this cab ported or sealed?

7. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    It's sealed.

8. Thanks Eric,

I would definitely like to try before I buy and the Mesa 400(+) is on my shortlist, as is the SVT-II, Orange & DB750. One of my local music stores had a used 400+ in for a about a month but it's gone now. I haven't seen another one in town (new or used). Don't worry, you guys will be the first to know when it happens, but in the meantime, the iAMP will be powering the cab.

Lager,
    R

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I really, really, really want to try my Magnavox SVT through one of those.

Nobody handles Bergantino around here....:bawl:

10. At least you can get them in your country tho!

(ok, we can get them over here too, just not fesible tho!)

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, I hope this hasn't been beat to death, but is this cab kind of the answer for people who would normally use an SVT810E, but can get about the same tone or better, in a slightly smaller cab with 2 less speakers? Meaning - if a guy didn't mind lugging an SVT810 around, would it still be worth checking out this cab?

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yes, it has been beat to death :D and YES it is the answer to people who haul a Ampeg 8x10 and are sick of it. Most say it's just a loud, does everything the 8x10 does but more (a bit more clarity and frequency range). Oh, the real good part is that's it's much smaller and lighter...

13. I'm definitely not qualified to answer this having only spent a total of 25 minutes playing through the NV610, but see what one of our resident pros (Tommixx) has to say about the cab at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231265

Do a search on "NV610" & "SVT" and you'll find a bunch more info.

Did I mention I can take the NV610 up and down stairs by myself? :cool:

Rocky

14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I really enjoyed how the overdrive and distortion sounded through the nv610...perfect

15. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Careful with that back. I 'used' to be able to do that, too.

16. LOL! Thanks for the concerns. I'll be careful. OK, I forgot to mention I'm 6' tall, weigh 235lbs and work out 6 times a week. :smug:

I should still be good for a few more years. :bag:

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Heh. With my back, I couldn't drag it up a flight of stairs solo either. But - the NV610 is significantly more portable than the Ampeg 8x10. Heck, it's more portable than the SWR 6x10.

LOVE my NV610. The only negative is that it's less portable than, say, a 2x10/1x15 stack. Tone is 10 out of 10 to my ears.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! Let me add that while I really like the sound of an NV610 with the iAMP 800, I like it even more with the DB 750 and more yet with a good tube head. :D

19. I know... I know!!!!!
    That's next on my list. I know where I can try out a new SVT or Yorkville, but no older SVT, or SVT-II or Mesa 400. I know a guy (through this forum) that has a DB750, and I might try to contact him later to try it out with the Berg. Then, that's it... next on the list will be a Sadowsky (bass). :meh: