1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

picked up my first bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Fatass, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Fatass

Fatass

Oct 14, 2010
    Denton, Texas
    and cant wait to learn! it is a 1938 kay orchestra strung with silver slaps. i've wanted to get into this for many years but didnt have the knowledge or cash. i've been playing around on it since i got it home this afternoon. :)

2. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Congratulations! Post some photos when you have a chance.

3. Fatass

Fatass

Oct 14, 2010
    Denton, Texas
    crappy picture taken with my iphone

4. PMF1

PMF1

May 30, 2010
    Switzerland
    A really nice looking instrument... congrats :)
    more pics?

5. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Wow, congrats and good luck!

Fred

6. Welcome to the family. Next time, lay the bass down on its other side to lessen the chances of your soundpost falling. :)

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    :confused:
    Was that :) supposed to be a :D?

To the OP--
    Congrats and welcome to the dark side and TB! Looks like a really nice find. As for the "knowledge," got plans for a teacher? Just for the record, with your strings tuned to pitch, your soundpost will not fall. Even if it were prone to falling, gravity wouldn't care on which side you laid down the bass, although I think most of us right-handers tend to lay the bass down on the treble side (opposite of your pic).

8. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Nice looking bass! Take care of it and an instrument like that will last you the rest of your life. Finding that one first was totally doing it right. :)

9. ASBass

ASBass

Mar 11, 2007
    Ohio
    Beautiful bass Fatass! (I feel odd.... calling someone Fatass :smug:) Looks alot like mine. What is your serial number? I have #3109.

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Congratulations! Nice bass. ;)

11. Fatass

Fatass

Oct 14, 2010
    Denton, Texas
    SN is 3733, as for a teacher i havent looked into one yet, im fiddling around a bit first :) i do have a couple buddys now that play so i may hit up one of them!

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Good idea. It's important to have someone show you proper technique, not only to help you develop good habits and play better, but to avoid injury.

Enjoy! :)

13. Have Fun FatAss :D ! Learning Is Good ..... Innovation strings in all of their-types work pretty-good for Pro Bass Players .... And for rookies like me :rolleyes: ... I like super-silvers and 140H honeys myself.

Please take some real-pix .... Especially of The '38's FatAss :p . Does it have the Faux-Real-Wood ;) . I have a 1940 kay-orch (O-1 SN# 8462 with fakey tiger stripes on her fatass) ....

IMG_0029-1-1-1.

I am baby-sitting another 1940 kay-orch (SN# 7585) also with fakey tiger stripes on her fatass ...

CIMG0891. ...

The Owner is working in Antartica for The Winter and playing a stick-bass. Easy on the airplane. The local ice-dog carpenter did a nice double-bass template with beer-holder so she would feel at-home and forget that the temperature was -40 °F with the wind blowing :p ...

15ZatIcestock.

P.S. I have been in Denton Texas before in a previous life as I travelled to earl-refineries :D ! Know What ?? We have a "Denton" here in MT ... Not too-far from where I was raised. There are world-record mule-deer in Denton, MT.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    She needs to sign up here. It's unconscionable that we aren't represented on every continent.

15. :D F-Deck ..... I am working on it PAL !!! Since "Z" is a fine bluegrass / blues / country-swing basser .... I am hoping to hear some "WAY-DEEP-SOUTH" :D ... via "The Web".

However :rollno: ...... I told "Z" about checking into http://www.bassgrass.com/ .... When she was gone. But she said connections were SLOW down there. DAMN-COLD-AIR seems to ****** life a bit.

If .... Back then .... When Explorers had Sacks ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton ...