Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picked up the phone and called Gard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ordered my MTD Kingston 5 from Bass Central:D :D

Gard, I love you, man!

Now the wait for the truck.

Will post pics as soon as it comes in.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dull where?

;)

...and you still can't have my Bud Light...unless you sick Brad's penguin on me! :eek:

:bag:

Your new baby leaves here tomorrow, hopefully you'll see it early next week.

As always, good taking a fellow TBer's mo...er...I mean, GOOD TALKING TO A FELLOW TBER!!!!

:D

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    We never learn do we? I've just now been able to sleep at night again without hearing "Hello Bass Central, Gard speaking" in my sleep. For the past 2 month I couldn't even leave the van (For those of you who don't know my wife kicked me out after my last go round with Gard and now I live in a van down by the river). I'd sit there all day looking at my MTD 535, Lakland 55-94, Eden WT-400 and Eden D-410XST all from that hell known as Bass Central!

Beware of Gard, he's under the spell of the Beaver ;) :D

4. Damn...Gard must be Mr.Hook-Up down there man...everytime I turn around he helped someone else get a new bass or amp:)

Thats cool,I dig that.

Enjoy your kingston.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    He is the devil incarnate!

*rubs his new 55-01*

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Nice score, Marley!

Good going, Gard, now where's my share? *nudge* :p

Which finish did you pick? I love the snow white(?) finish, although that greyish pickguard looks hideous. I wonder if you can order the white one with a pearl pickguard.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ

Lol

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Enjoy that Kingston. I just picked up one for my younger brother and had a chance to play around with it. Killer value in a budget priced bass.

-Mike

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks. I am psyched. Come on Brown Truck!:D

It is Black with a Maple neck/fretboard. Pics next week when it comes in.

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Very very nice indeed although I have to mention that the black rosewood(ebony?) fretboard combo looks super slick. First thing you do when that bass arrives, take a picture of it...while we're at it, why don't you take a picture of the truck when it arrives. :D

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Evil Gard will get ya every time!

Thanks to him, I have a Roscoe, an Eden Metro and an Eden XLT-115. I've got the best sounding bass in town! Notice I didn't say the best bass player in town.

I've even been known to call someone just to have the other end pick up and say, "Bass Central, Gard speaking." I call him unintentionally!

He's evil... evil I tell you!

But we love him... well... like a brother.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...the funniest thing about this is, HE'S NOT KIDDING!!!

:D

Hey Doc, you coming up for the GTG Sunday? Gonna be a few interesting "door prizes"!

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Slight delay. Problem with the case, namely that SKB DOESNT MAKE ONE for leftys :confused: I surfed the web in vain looking for something equivalent. Finally, I emailed MTD, and Mike T got right back to me. He is refitting a 0 gravity case to fit my lefty. :cool:

Gard is going to ship my Kingston on Monday, which means I will probably get the case before the bass ;)

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

What's the secret, can I have the phone number.

-------------------------------------------------
    After 40 years of resisting major GAS
    the LAKLAND hollowbody sunburst may do me
    in ....
    -------------------------------

PM me when you can.

Be gentle .....

Thor

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Door prizes??? where??? i want me one of them!!! Dude im coming to the GTG just for the door prizes!!! :p

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you don't get a door prize, I'll buy you one and send it!

An official TB shirt.

Talk to you guys Sunday!

Thor

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

This weekend proves how much I love my wife and kids. My wife is Jewish (and this is the Jewish new year), so we are visiting her cousins about 90 minutes north of Tampa.

This weekend, I am missing the JAco Pastorius Big Band concert in Fort Lauderdale (I'd be there right now as I type this) and I'm going to miss the Talkbass get together at Bass Central tomorrow. I would have loved to meet the nice guys I've met here at Talkbass.

Oh well. The things we do to be a good father.

18. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Got the Kingston 5 last week. . Thanks Gard! Here's an initial mini review:

The neck is pretty wide, but slender. Action is low, but not too low. B is very tight. Intonation is nearly perfect, no adjustments neeeded here. The only thing I needed to do was lower the pup a bit.

I got the case from Mike Tobias, a 0 gravity nylon covered hard case. The K5 fit after a few mods of the pads. Sweet!

OK, here are the pics.

19. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    More pics

20. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    More