1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Picked up the Ventura "Lawsuit" Jazz Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Texsunburst59, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Well I got a deal on the Ventura "Lawsuit" Jazz I was looking at. The pawnshop owner sold it to me for $165 and threw in a set of GHS Boomers. The bass is in very good condition for a bass born in 1975. Here's some quick pics I took today.

download-5.
    download-6.

Real Fender Jazz that the Ventura is supposed to be modeled after:

JazzBass.

The '75 Ventura & my '74 Fender Jazz:

download-7.

2. sturoc

sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    Is it me or is the Ventura slightly smaller ?

3. Man Sturoc I noticed that too. I think it's a depth perception optical illusion because of the angle of the pic. That would be my guess. The Ventura isn't smaller than the real '74.

4. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    How does it play? How does the neck feel compared to the '74? I'd pay $165 for it just for the cool factor. Both good looking basses.

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Very nice! Love me some sunburst Jazz, and the rosewood board w/blocks sets it off well!

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Cool! Congrats. How does this Asian bad boy play and sound. I remember seeing a lot of Ventura branded instruments
    being used by players on a budget back in the 70's. I wish I'd snagged a few of the better Asian made clones back then.
    It took awhile for a lot of players to accept the notion that good instruments could be made in Japan and other nations back then.

7. Even in the top photo if you look at the top horn the neck appears to be smaller. It looks like the Ventura is a 32" scale vs a full 34".

8. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    That`s an awesome find for that cheap of a price! Congrats on a cool bass!

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Follow the lines on the flooring planks, both basses are about the same length.

10. I've played a few Venturas and Globals from this period. They had a lot of variations available, and I do think this is a 32 inch scale. Typically the bridge was moved farther in from the end of the bass. Looking at how far the cover is from the end I would be willing to bet it has a shorter scale.

11. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I think it looks better than the fender!

12. Well I played it for a bit through a guitar amp set clean. It had plenty of clarity ,fatness,and the pickups sounded very good. The neck felt OK,but the bass looks like it never got set up at all. I'll be taking care of that soon.

13. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I agree. The Ventura looks to be a medium scale. While there is a depth perception to consider, notice that the Fender is sitting at an angle within the same number of floor boards.