Pickers, what pick do ya use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 9, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    So, fellow pickers. what pick do ya use? thin, or heavy? i dont feel like listing all the sizes, do it in your post. but what thickness,brand, and size do ya like? i play with a gator grip (heavyst one they have). me like the thick pick.....you?
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, it didnt let me post a poll. not cool. how can i fix that? (put a poll up.) do i have to re-post?
  3. Modulus Graphite picks are my favorite. Stiff as hell but only 1.0mm thick.
  4. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Dunlop Tortex 1.6mm sharp

Various others between 1.5 and 3mm thick.
  5. Any picking I've done is a throw-back from my time on 6 string guitar. I've always tried to play bass by plucking although I'm definitely faster with a pick (yep, I know, speed isn't everything!).

However, last rehersal, the guitarist left his pick laying about so I picked it up and used it. It was quite a floppy thing but, very surprisingly, I found it worked really well. The only trouble was that after a few dozen strokes it slipped round between my thumb and finger so that the point ended up facing the headstock. That seemed to happen every time.

The bass pick I have (from the early 70s) is very stiff and doesn't work nearly as well for me as a guitar pick seems to.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I started playing seriously with a pick about 6 months ago after Curbow set up my 5 string with flatwounds. I've used primarily a fender heavy pick, but I also use felt mandolin picks, and a big metal triangle pick I found a couple of years ago, too. Don't really care for the sound of roundwounds played with a pick, but I do love the sound of flats played with a pick and palm muting. :cool:
  7. i use Stubby's 1mm and 2mm

i like them cos they're comfy :p
  8. A really thin black one. I think it's a Dunlop. Meh...
  9. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Dunlop Tortex 1.14 (the purple ones)
  10. Although I don't use a pick very often, when I do it's a fender medium but thats only because I play guitar as well and I have an overabundance of them.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Red Sharkfins (thin)
  12. qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    1mm dunlop nylon is the ONLY pick I'm comfortable with, and I've practiced alot with various kinds. For me it has the best balance of strength/flexibility. Plus it has a grip end that doesn't slip out of my dang fingers.
  13. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I've never seen anything that thick. Must be like a rock.
  14. Yep, same here :)

and nowadays i also use 2mm stuby's too, if i want warmer sound
  15. i use a 1mm thats lasted me 4 ages
    before i had that i used these queer plastics things that i stole a huge amount of from the supermarket:rolleyes:
  16. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    When I use a Pick I use a Dunlop .88 green tortex.
  17. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I also use a Dunlop .88 mm green tortex pick. Not too thick; not too thin...
  18. i use either fender heavys or mediums, dunlop big stubbie 3.0 MM, or whatever the hell else i can find!
  19. RandSoundgarden

Sep 10, 2000
    I tend to use (when I do use a pick which is rare) Dunlop Tortex at around the .66 to .8mm range, because I prefer a lighter guage.
  20. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Dunlop Tortex .60 (orange) and .73 (yellow) picks, depending on the style of picking I am using at the moment. .60 seems to work better when I am playing fast or strumming "double stops" and .73 is better when I am just plucking with downstrokes closer to the bridge for more punch. I can't strum with a .73, and I cant pick heavily with a .60, so I use both.

I feel so... different, not using heavy-ass picks. Maybe I am a pioneer? :D