Pickgaurd question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon_Bass99, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jon_Bass99

Jon_Bass99 Commercial User

Jul 11, 2019
    2647B60D-C123-490D-B22D-A2C8333357AE.jpeg I have an ESP LTD Vintage 214. I was wondering if it’s possible to put any ordinary precision pickguard on there?

2. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    It looks like a p-bass pickguard will fit.

3. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have an ESP Vintage 4, and put a proline pickguard from GC on it, which is a drop in replacement for a fender pickguard. The holes didn't line up with the precision that a nasa scientist would expect, but i didnt have to redrill anything. I put all the screws in loose, then tightened the one at the top of the neck, then the one behind the rear most tone knob, then the one at the tip of the lower horn, then the one directly under the neck, and then did the rest. Basically, trying to emulate a star pattern. No oversized holes, no stripped holes, it fit in the end.

The most important part, if you want to avoid stripping holes, you have to average the screw depths of all the screws. If all but 2 screws are countersunk, then back out the rest of the screws, and screw the two screws that were sitting too high in a little bit more, then screw the rest in. So instead of all but 2 being countersunk 100%, and the other two are %60 percent, where you can feel them when you rub your finger over them, all screws will be countersunk 80%, and will feel like they're all countersunk %100, and the pickguard is perfectly tight to the body.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021