Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickgaurds

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skwad, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Skwad

Skwad

May 26, 2001
    I'm interested in changing my pick gaurd from white to a dark red. How much do they usually cost? Will the store put it on for me? If I have to do it myself, how? Also, if I don't get a new one, how do i get some of the plastic off my original one. I peeled most of it off, but some of it still sticks out from under the volume and tone knobs. Thank you everyone

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...most guitar Centers around carry pickgaurds. What kinda bass you have? (That would help)...

If there's some plastic still under the knobs, simply put a flathead screwdriver under it, push it up, then go to the opposite side, and push it up, and then do it on the other two sides, it should pop right off, and you can remove the plastic. Doesb't do any harm to the bass.

To remove the pickgaurd, just unscrew it, and lift up. Real easy! You'll have to remove a nut or two from the knobs to detach them from the pickgaurd (don't lose them) and the simply switch out pickgaurds. Put the nuts back on, and re-screw the thing in using existing holes...it's good to know how many screws there are (so the holes match up with the p/g), I think on a fender there's 11s and 13s...and people sell pickgaurds for nearly every bass with a pickgaurd.

Then lastly, put the knobs back on the pots. It's a good idea to rotate the pots all the way in one direction, and then put the knob on...unless it has an odd side, so you can't put it on wrong...And apply firm, steadt pressure on the knob, don't hammer it or anything...

Pick changing 101....Sorry, I don't know any sites that deal in picgaurds...most online music stores carry them I'd imagine...

3. Skwad

Skwad

May 26, 2001
    i have a fender precision. so i guess i put it on myself?

4. go to wd products web site, at www.pickguards.com/fender.htm, they have a bunch.
    To change it is easy, like brendan said, just unscrew it, remove the knobs and pots, and change everything over to the new one, put it back together. You really cant hurt anything unless you cut or tug on the wires to hard. Maybe loosen the strings to make it easier to get the old guard over the pups.
    good luck
    eddie

5. Skwad

Skwad

May 26, 2001
    oh one more thing, do they come with new knobs to match the color?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, they don't come with knobs...If you just have the chrome knobs, it's not a big deal..if they're the plastic knobs, then I have no clue where to get colored knobs...most Fenders (and most squires) have the Chrome, which goes pretty well with the colors...

7. I'm moving this thread to setups. It really doesn't belong in the strings category.

8. Take your bass to the store and match up the pickguard. You shouldn't have a problem since it's a Fender. But some Mexican/Japanese models aren't standard. Lord knows the Squiers aren't standard.