1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickguard color for a 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toneman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I'm gassing for a skyline 44-02 only problem is the few color choices offered. If I go with natural I'm thinking a black guard might look good and for sunburst I guess tort. Any pics of Lakies with guards would be appreciated.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Do you have to have a pickguard? I had a natural/rosewood 55-02 that looked gorgeous without one (see my avatar and my profile photo).

If you really want one, my typical answer is tort but a black might work nicely as well.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Does the 44-01 even have a pickguard option? Ony the Classic US series comes with guards unless you're talking the signature ones- e.g. Joe Osborn, Duck Dunn, Jerry Scheff, Bob Glaub, and Daryl Jones.

Here's my Classic 4-94 in Burgundy Mist with a Mother-of-Toilet Seat (or "Moto") pickguard.
    2452462838_5670f5ddea. 2738883106_b185f9ff86.

jte

4. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yeah, Roger at Jeannie's offers them for every Lakland Model, and he ROCKS!

5. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    that bass is gorgous!!

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............so when do I get to play that one????

Love it!!!!

PS - you coming to Lakland on the 23rd? "LOG open house"

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    here are a couple of options for ya....

the first is my JO with a tort for your perusal:

100_2306.

100_2312.

not the same bass but it will give you an idea of the "look" with natural

the second is my (recently received) 55-07 with a black guard:

100_2947.

100_2943.

it is blond, not natural, but you can get an idea of the color combo....this is the 55-01/44-01 style of pickguard which I think really offsets the body shape nicely!!!!

good luck!

Doug

PS - sorry - no bursts to show ya!!!

PPS - you need to go to Roger at Jeannie's pickguards and he will get you exactly what you need/want!

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Now I'm a little sad. I thought I owned a classic in the best color possible. I owned a Fender in burgundy mist, but it wasn't nearly as cool. Not sure I'm into the M-O-T-S pickguard though. I still believe there are only 4 pickguard colors: black, white and tort.
    2009-02-16004.

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  10. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Lakland's Burgundy mist is even more awesome in person (as are most of their colors)....yours is ubber hot as well! I love Shoreline Gold.....one of these days I'll get me a Shoreline Gold sumthin'

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've got a tort guard from Jeannies for a 44-02. Great work, but the first screw at the neck is a little too close to the edge of the guard.

But...why on earth would I want to put anything but white on my SG 4-94? I've got a white pearloid guard for it, but its a weird cover-both-cutaways kind of guard. Not my thing at all-came with the bass.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Lakland's burgundy mist looks to be in a whole different league than my Fender burdundy mist (an Urge I). Lakland's shoreline gold is a classic Lakland color, if you ask me. But, in Fender terms, its more of a firemist gold. In keeping on topic, I stand by my statement: there are only four valid pickguard colors. White, Black, and Tort.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The 23rd? Since today is the 24th of March, is it Thursday April 23? Saturday May 23?

Talk to me 'bout the LOG get-together! I haven't been to the Lakland shop since 2002. When, BTW, I played and fell in lust with a Shoreline Gold Classic fretless 4-94 with a white 'guard... I really wanted that bass but couldn't afford it at the time. It had been loaned to an endorser who needed a spare fretless for a last-minute key change at the start of a Don Henley tour. About two months after I played that bass, I saw a video of the tour and just stared at "my" bass...

jte

14. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    I generally agree with you but you should check out Mint. It's hard to tell the difference from a distance between it and white but it accentuates Shorline Gold impeccably.

15. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Well I order a 44-02 natural with rosewood board and I have the pick guard narrowed down to three choices}
    either tort
    brown tort
    black
    Any other pics and opinions would be helpful. Being a lifetime fender guy I really dig the way the 44-02/44-94 looks with that small pick guard.

16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    How about a free tort guard? PM me your address. Its this one:
    2007-07-03038.

17. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    PM sent
    THANKS

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nothing is really free. For payment, I demand pictures posted in this thread. :)

I was saving this guard for my next 44-02 (in black), but I ended up with a 4-94 classic, so I've no use for my tort guard now.

Enjoy!

19. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    hey wvbass I notice in your profile you have a few usa fenders both P and jazz basses as I do. Have your Lakies retired them or do you till take use your fenders as well.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've just got the one Lakland. I haven't gigged much in the past year, but I had been using my Dingwall as #1 and my Jazz as #2.

I didn't have my 44-02 long enough to develop a relationship with it. Life got in the way, and it went out the door. I've only had the 4-94 since December, but I've had no desire to touch anything else since I got it.

I've got my first gig in 15 months this Friday, and we'll see how the Lakland works for real. Of course, everything will be new here. I'll be playing the Lakland into an LMII and two Epi PS112 cabs. Out of this stuff, I've only ever gigged one of the PS112s as an extension speaker for my SWR amps.

So, to answer your question, yes, I think the Lakland is retiring ALL my other basses (unless I need a fiver), but I should know more after Friday.