Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard color for my natural ash Jazz with rosewood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Black Pearl / MOTO / Mother of Toilet Seat

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Tortoise

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just scored a '99 American Standard Jazz in natural ash with a rosewood board. Since I've never given much thought to owning a bass in this combination, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what color pickguard I want - but the white three-ply has to go. Yawn.

Of these two choices, which do you think would look better? Links to pictures would be appreciated, too! The only web pics I can find are for plain black or white pickguards, or Jazzes with maple boards.

2. what's the 1st one like???

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I said BP but on anything but natural it would have been tortoise...

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Here's a black pearl lifted from MF's website...

[​IMG]

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the tortoise would really look nice with the rosewood board.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think all of the ones that I've seen in the configuraion have had tortoise shell. I think that Fender should have some pictures on their web site. Also, I think Fender's last quarterly magazine had a picture of Victor Bailey on the cover with this type of bass w/tortoise shell. You could also go with plain black, but I think that the shell would be great!

7. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    Tortoise is one of my favorites, I voted for that. My second choice would be black I guess.

That black pearl didn't do much for me. It would different though.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    1. White Moto
    2. Tortoise Shell
    3. White

Black Moto is a decidedly unorganic looking material. I think the more natural colors of Tortoise Shell or even White Moto, which is at least less blatantly synthetic, would look better on a natural finish.

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Definitely tortoise shell. Not the brown stuff, the RED tortoise shell. Looks great on an old jazz of mine.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but tortoise is just so... old school? Not really my kind of vibe, 'tho I agree it's both attractive and authentic. And it’s winning the popularity contest three to one at the moment.

I ordered a black pearl Fender replacement from MF for $30, but it's returnable - and I'm still open to suggestions. (I'd rather spend $10 more and have a return privilege on something like this where I'm unsure of what I want.)

If all else fails, maybe a white pearl pickguard is they way to go. I just find the stock plain white one to be incredibly boring.

Keep those opinions and comments coming, gang!

11. On a natural finish I always want either tortoise or white pearl. I want to look old school. I am old and I play music from the forties and fifties.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I tried the black pearl for a week. Bzzzzt.

It would look great on a silver or black bass, or just about anything other than natural/rosewood. It would even look OK on natural/maple. The combination with the rosewood board just doesn't cut it. Back it goes, unless someone else wants it (it's a Fender part).

So, I just ordered a copper crushed pearl guard from Warmoth:

[​IMG]

It's fine grained, and should look good. I just don't care for the black/dark brown tones of most tort guards.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I shoulda just listened to you guys to begin with - the crushed copper from Warmoth is the was to go. Not quite as old school as tort, but very attractive...