1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard Doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Dec 15, 2006.

1. I purchased a pickguard on ebay and it needs some tweeking. The pickguard has about a 1/8 " overlap on the chrome plate (Geddy Lee) The pickup cut out and the neck pocket are real tight . What do you recoment to grind the plastic .

I have contacted the seller but no response. Looking at his feedback most people that gave him negative feedback have had little luck getting him to respond to email.

2. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I have had good luck with a Dremmel tool and plastic. Use lower rpms or it will melt the plastic.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Did the auction say it would fit a Geddy Lee? Or are you just hoping that he'll throw some money your way because it doesn't fit your bass?

I cannot stress enough that the only way to ensure a perfect fit is to have YOUR pickguard copied.

But when it comes to modding, I work with a Dremel.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Is his ebay name "dabootzman" per chance?
    In my case, he sent me the wrong pickguard colorwise, to the wrong bass then ignored all my emails to get it exchanged. I can go on a tirade about the guy but I'll behave...
    Dont beat yourself up, he may not have sent you exactly what you had ordered.
    As long as the screw holes line up properly you're good. Just use a dremel and carefully shape the edge to fit your control plate. If you dont have a dremel you can use files but it'll take forever.
    It's actually very risky buying pickguards online because there are so many variations on shapes/cuts/styles that it ends up being a crapshoot. You really have to go into it with the understanding that, unless you're having your exact pickguard copied, you'll likely to do some tweaking to make it fit.

5. Yep It was dasbootman and it was titled Geddy Lee pickguard.
    It has the screw hole above the neck pickup that the Jazz pickguard doesn't have. The scewholes are off a little but I think they will be better if the neck pocket was right.

tplyons :rollno: Or are you just hoping that he'll throw some money your way because it doesn't fit your bass?
    :rollno:

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    my MIJ wont take all-parts parts. My suggestion is to go to a local shop and get one that FENDER made, i found one that worked and yep, it was a Fender.

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I have learned you are hard pressed to find a non fender made p/gaurd that will drop right in nice a nice,most copies even ones licensed by fender(I hate that cliche' for payed fender to copy a part).
    I bought a 78 Japanese made Memphis p-bass that was so exact that its pickgaurd fit my 83 Squier,my 2004 and 2006 p-basses too,and I mean to a tee,not close or had to wiggle pick-ups a bit but DEAD NUTZ.
    I also ordered a pickgaurd from Fender(I do repair and warrenty work for them )and it was'nt an exact fit for my buddies 50th anniversery p-bass,I made one for my 84 Japanese Jazz bass special that does'nt come with one ,I ruffed it out made a copy and sent it to Warmouth and they sent me one back made to my specs,so thats an option too, OR go the easy way,by a dremel and go at it.:bassist:

8. I guess it's the the dremel then. Thanks for the help guys. I will report back.

OH I guess I do a little cut out so I can get at the truss rod screw while I am at it.

9. I just fixed the PG. The dremel on slow worked fine. I removed about 1/8 " from the neck pocket and the pickup hole. The screw holes were fine after that.

Thanks to all :bassist:

The white pearloid on my Geddy looks great. Like a Tux with a fancy shirt.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    dazbootman strikes again. I am currently on my 25th day waiting for a pickguard from him. After three e-mails going without response, I got his telephone number and called him. He, of course, had an excuse and promised to get the pickguard to me asap, but I'm not holding my breath. I have opened a dispute with Paypal.

Needless to say, this will be the last pickguard I buy from him.

11. Oh Crap, :eek: I just ordered an abalone pickguard for my black USA P-Bass Special from this same guy. Hey INCOGNITO, could you possibly give me his phone number? It sounds like I'm gonna have the same problems as the other posters on this thread. I just ordered it this past Friday evening from his EBAY store. The description said it would fit only USA Fender P-basses. I sure hope this guy doesn't rip us all off. Man, I just know that abalone would look awesome on my black bass. I hope this all turns out good for everyone. :eek:

12. I wouldn't say I was ripped off. I just trimmed it a little and it fit. It took too long 9 days and he wouldn't answer my messages when I had a problem. That is just unprofessional. I'll just get the next one from someone else.

13. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just expect this when I replace a PG. IME, there is no "direct fit". Glad it worked out for you though.

14. I received an email today from "Dazbootman" informing me that the abalone pickguard was shipped by 2 to 3 day priority mail. I sure hope it fits. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: