Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard for a Fender Jazz Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jul 10, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Does anyone know if a standard p-bass pickguard will fit on a fender jazz special. I realize I'll have to screw it in since there are no holes. I am also considering removing the horrible 80's red for the natural wood color with a clear coat, any suggestions?

Thanks
    I am new here.

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think you could buy a generic P-bass pick guard and take it to a lutherier if any slicing and dicing (or drilling for that matter!) is needed. I've had guitar techs cut up pick guards for me to accommodate humbuckers on my guitars. They didn't seem to have any problem with it at all.

As for stripping the paint, do consider that you don't know what that wood beneath looks like! What if its ugly? Consider the body is likely made from at least 3 pieces of wood (either alder or basswood I think). A decent bass with see-thru finish will have multi pieces of wood fairly well matched so the grain is uniform and the body at least kinda looks like it was made from one piece of lumber. But opaque finishes covers all that up. Tonally, your fine but visually--ugh!

Beware!!!

r

3. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the great info.

That is some good insight about the multipart body. How hard do you think it would be to get a decent solid color like black? Should I strip the paint and repaint of just paint on top of it? I would like to retain tone and not cause any loss in that department.

Thanks

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Gezz, I don't know for sure. I've never refinished ANYTHING before. I figure there must be some chemicals that would make the job easier and of course there good ole sand paper. But you know, this job it could turn into a real mess.

The stripping part is likely small potatoes compared to the actually refinishing bit. Getting a well sealed mirror-like finish is a labor intensive and expensive process. Environmentally its costly as well hence more production in Mex and overseas (the cheap labor don't hurt either!). This is why we're starting to less expensive US made guitars with matte finishes that cost much less than the high gloss variety (Fender's US Highway 1, Gibson's Faded Series, Music Man's SUB bass). Sure, these are strip down axes in terms of hardware and pickups but the real cost saving manufacturing component is the light finish.

Once again bro, I say go to a decent luthier and get the scoop on cost. I mean, do you REALLY dig this bass enough to pump some serious money into it strictly for cosmetic purposes? Are you really capable of pulling a nice looking job on your own? And hell, for all I know it might not be so expensive after all. If you do find out, let me know, you've got me curious.

Good luck,

r

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks again for the info.

I am from Northampton MA but now live in Raleigh NC. Where in MA are you from?

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Get out! I'm from NYC but currently live in Westfield, MA about 20 mins south of Northampton. I'm up there all the time (music scene). I've use to live up there when I went to U Mass, and later with my ex right downtown. Small world.

Say, any pics of your Jazz Special?

Ron

7. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I went to UMass too! What year? I graduated in 99 and my wife graduated in 2000. I am a grad student at NC State now, I certainly miss it up there. Especially the great shows at the Iron Horse.

The fender jazz special was a bass that was for sale locally I liked the guitar but hated the color and lack of pickgaurd (just doesn't look right). Right now I only have a Yamaha BB404 and am looking for my second bass. I am going back and forth on starting the fretless, an ABG, or just another fretted 4 string setup for slapping. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to this forum and new to playing bass-though I sadly played the guitar since I was 13 but my fat fingers and stubby hands really were a hinderance. I really always wanted to play bass but used acoustic guitars and classes are so plentiful. I was told early one that if I learn guitar first the bass would be easy-wasted of 15 years of what I really like. The bass is a lot of fun and is way more natural feeling than the guitar.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I was only at UMass for 2 semesters back in the early 90s. I used to work the door at Pearl Street for a few months too. I actually lived at the Baystate Hotel (wow, talk about a dive!). Between the Baystate and Pearlstreet, I saw a lot of bands. I eventually finished my undgergrad at Westfield State and got my master's soon after that. Sadly, the old Baystate is no more (sniff).

Now I'm a little lost on what you're looking for. You want a back up or maybe a fretless but you're not sure which way to go, right? Is this Jazz Special a fretless model (I've seen a few around)? And what do you mean by "an ABG"? And seeing as you're comfy with the Yamaha, you are aware they have some fretless models on the cheap, no?

I guess the question is what you really want and how much you're willing to spend. If you flat out in love with this Jazz Special and just dig projects then go for it. But I'm not sure what you're really after.

So, what's the story?

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I guess my query is this: I would like to buy a second bass, I currently have a Yamaha bb404 that I quite found of, eventually I'd like a fretless but I think it is too soon since I still am building my technique for the fretted, I also like to own an acoustic but they are really expensive for a 34 scale. I like finger style as my main playing style but have a lot of fun with slapping. The basses I am looking at that I like:
    for fretted - 80s fender p or j.
    fretless- yamaha bb4nf (I like the p body with j neck).
    for acoustic - martin b1 (in my dreams) or realistically a Carlo Robelli SB100E.
    I like classic rock, blues, bluegrass, ...

Thanks for all the info. I have 2 kids (1yr and 3yrs) and my wife and I are both grad students. You could say I am somewhat of a hermit - go to work/school come home go to work/school - I really don't have a chance to network here with other bassists. Point being your help is very appreciated.

BTW My cousin, Josh Thayer, is an accomplished local bassist, maybe you have crossed paths.