Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard For MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Penguin, Sep 3, 2002.

1. White Pearl

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Black Pearl

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Black

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. White (Original)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (Please Specify)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Hey All,

I have recently purchased a MIM Jazz in the Midnight Wine Colour. Im was thinking about changing the pickguard, to either a white pearl, black pearl, or black pickguard.

Which of these colours do you think would look better? (at the moment it has the standard white pick guard)

I saw a modified standard Strat in the Midnight Wine colour with a black pearloid pickguard, it looked pretty sweet (the colours not the g**tar!)

Cheers :D

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'll plug for the White Pearl - just 'cos it sounds like it would go well!

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    black pearl

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm buying a white and black checker pickgaurd for my MIM Jazz, also Midnight Wine.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put a white pearl pickguard on my Midnight Wine Jazz, and it looks awesome. When I get home I'll post a picture of it.

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Here is kind of a small picture of mine.

[​IMG]

I can post a bigger, better one later if you are interested.

7. Showdown, thanks for that pic, if you could, could you please post a bigger pic of your Jazz, i think i mioght go with the white pearl, but im still not to sure.

Cheers.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sure. When I get home from work I'll post it.

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    definetly white pearl. I just switched my plain white to a white pearl on my MM SR5. Looks way cool

10. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I put a warmoth tortoise on mine. I think it looks amazing. The shades of red in the tortoise go very well with the midnight wine. It looks a lot like a black bass with a black pearl pickguard. But it's red. I think it's gorgeous. Too bad I don't have a digital camera.

11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Here is a bigger picture of mine:

[​IMG]

One word of caution, though - if your bass was made before 2001 you will have to slightly enlarge the neck pickup hole on any pickguard you get because they used bridge sized pickups in both positions. After 2001 (I believe) they use different sized pickups, like the MIAs do, so you should be able to use any pickguard without modification.. I used a Dremel tool, and it worked great, but you could do it with a file if necessary.