Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard for New Jazz Bass... ever buy from Choppers Music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman45, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    I bought a new AM Fender Fretless Jazz bass last weekend. Sunburst with rosewood fretboard... looks nice and plays even better. I'd like to replace the parchmont pickguard with a tortoise style. Has anyone ever purchased from this company on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336165612&category=41424

They claim it's very good quality. I'm not sure :confused:

Thanks

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    It's faux, though . . .

After my experience with Terrapin, I wouldn't touch these third-party pickguard makers with a 10-foot pole.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I bought a PG from them last month. It's still in the package on my workbench in the garage :oops:

The transcation was smooth.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From the item description: As with any pickguard, some modification may be necessary for exact hole alignment, as there are many different hole patterns.

For this reason, I chose not to get one from them. I prefer to buy a genuine Fender that I know will fit my Jazz. I don't doubt the quality, I just don't want to be cutting up my new p/g. PM sent to you about your current p/g

-Mike

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Personally, I don't think I'd wanna be buying a pickguard from any place called "Chopper's". :eek:

And they're in Canada so you'll be paying for duty....I think. Do Americans have to pay duty? How the heck would I know.

6. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Hey thanks for all the info..

Here's where I'm confused. I can't seem to find a "Genuine Fender" 10 hole tortoise design.... only the '62 vintage 11 hole (with extra thumbrest and PU cover holes).

Anyone have a link to these? I'd rather buy a Fender PG if I can.

Thanks...

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, I think all pickguards say you need to do some modding to them. Because IO had to mod my fender one to fit the SX...

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON

http://www.basspartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm