1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickguard material

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by canopener, Feb 18, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Miscellaneous enough? I did a search and didn't come up with much...
    :bag:
    Anyway, I took my white pickguard off of my standard Jazz, and I like the look of the all-black jazz body. Since the neck p-up to the control cavity leaves a bit much exposed, I was thinking of buying a sheet of pickguard material to make a lip around the cavity. What would I be able to use to cut the material? Would I be able to get away with using some kind of thin plastic? I'm thinking I could use different attachments on my Dremel, but I'd like to hear your inputs.

I could just buy a replacement pickguard, but the cheapest black, lefty pickguard I've seen is $25-30 (plus a mark-up for left handed). Stew-Mac has the sheets for around $10...

2. when I made the pick-guard for my home-made bass, I just used a 2mm thick piece of clear (slightly tinted) acryllic. I used a hulking great band saw to cut out the main shape, then used a coping saw to do the little tight bits, then buffed the edges to make 'em shiny and nice.

Er...if that's any help!

MArk.