1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard mod for double thumbing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Prezel, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I´m fairly new to the double thumbing technique and far from being very good at it.

But i found out that I had reasonably problems to apply it on the g string, since my thumb has no further string to rest and bounce back from.

Since I mostly play Jazz Basses with Pickguards, I figured out that one more layer of pickguard should help my thumb finding something to rebound from and execute the motion more accurate.

Until now I have only installed a roughly cut piece of pickguard with double faced tape between the neck and neck pickup. But the outcome is pretty pleasant so far. Seems it helps. :)

I will give it a try and post pictures as soon as I set it up properly. I may have to sand it down a bit to still have enough space to get my index and middle finger under the strings for popping. And of course I´d like to come up with a shape that is at least not too weird looking... :rolleyes:

Actually this is the first thread I started on TB. I hope it may be helpful for some. :bag:

2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Why don't you install and thumb rest like one of these you find on a squier vm jazz bass? I have one on mine and it helps for double thumping (I'm also a complete noob with double thumbing haha)

image-2849248555.

3. What is "double thumbing?" Never heard of it....

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    reminds me of murderface's bass solo ha

Attached Files:

6. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Hi- noob to the technique myself, but it seems that Vic Wooten is comfortable with a floating thumb on the g string. In other words, it has no string to land on, but merely stops at approximately the same distance as if it did. With practice, it should become comfortable to do the same, no need to add a slab of pickguard or thumbrest. Just take your time and train the hand to obey.

7. I agree. But not to forget, that Mr. Wootens technique is far from what I will ever achieve. I can double thumb rather well on any other string except the g string for the told reasons. Maybe my lack of technical abilitys, lack of time to learn like when I was 15 years old all boils down to the fact, that I can use a little help. It is funny how he actually explains in the videos to stop on the lower string and use it to bounce back. I guess he takes it for granted that everybody figures out how to perform on the g string. Oh well... there is so much that looks easy when he does it :)

But I´ll go with what you said... it is actually good to do it like it was thought for a lot of reasons (e.g. using other basses and so forth).