Pickguard noises

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass666, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Fuzzbass666

Fuzzbass666

Sep 24, 2010
    I've a mid 90s CIJ pbass fitted with quarter-pounders. When I rub the pick guard above the top (bass side) pup I can hear electrical/static noises. Other than the pick guard being very tight on the pup cover, I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

2. Sounds to me like the pup is picking up vibrations from the slight motion of the pg that's up against the pup. I'd try removing the pg and file a bit off where it rubs. Not much, a couple of strokes should do, if it's that tight. Use care and only remove enough to allow a bit of room. Then check it again. Pups can be pretty sensitive.
    I've done this myself on an old bass I had years ago, and it fixed the problem.

3. I vote static electricity. Buy some drier sheets, and rub the pick guard with one. I live in a very dry climate and all my basses and guitars exhibit the problem.

This was driving my nuts, but some discussion here set me in the right direction.

Brian

4. Fuzzbass666

Fuzzbass666

Sep 24, 2010
    Ok - thanks will be getting the sand paper out today. For the drier sheets, do you mean something like this

What are Dryer Sheets?

How do you use them? Just rub the pickguard every so often or something else?

5. Fuzzbass666

Fuzzbass666

Sep 24, 2010
    Looks like sandpaper won. Must have been the pups touching the pick guard.

Thanks - problem solved.

6. Glad to help. :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021