1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard on a white DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Mar 12, 2008.

1. White Pearl

38 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Black Peal

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Black

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Tort

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Keep that thang white!

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    Just ordered a white/maple DJ5 and I'm thinking the stock white pickguard has got to go.

[​IMG]

Vote away and post pics to provide me with something to drool over until she arrives :hyper:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm thinking white pearl to match the blocks on the fretboard, but black pearl might be a nice contrast.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    White pearl would be the icing on the cake.

4. sport88

sport88

Nov 1, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Black Pearl

Lakland20DJ5002.

Lakland20DJ5001.

5. I happen to think that a White DJ5 with a pearl white pickguard looks like a piece of jewelry -- beautiful!

full.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I think that both the black pearl and the white pearl look fantastic on those, with just a tiny bit of preference toward white pearl.

If it were me I would have the body routed for a P neck pickup and use the black pearl guard when I had the P pickup in, the white pearl when I had the J pickup in.

:D

7. One of the hottest looking basses ever. These things kill me when they pop up in the classifieds. One day...:atoz:

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    feb242008017.

9. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Normally I'd say white pearl, but with the metallic white finish on that bass I'd go for a contrasting look. My thoughts would be either silver pearl (similar to black pearl but lighter) or mirror. Neither is difficult to find, and I think they'll make that bass pop.\

Realize however that if you get a new pickguard it's gotta be custom-made; that may look like a stock Jazz pickguard but i got $100 that says the Fender replacements won't match up.

10. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    Mmmmm that white pearl does look tasty!

And yes, the pickguard is a different from a Fender jazz. Jeannie has plenty of options for Lakie pickguards though.

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

11. Black Pearl or Tort for the win!

12. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Gives me chills...

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I voted white pearl....because I think that is what I am going to do on my DJ5!!!

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Same here. I would dearly love to own one of these and I would if Lakland would just make 34" versions of them. :(

15. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    White pearl is the way to go IMO.

16. remigioremigio

remigioremigio

Feb 17, 2008
    white pearl...and while you´re at it....change the pick up covers to white!

17. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    ^^ I agree with the above post.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That looks hot!!!!

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You've got a maple neck, white body, and white pearl blocks. Go with the white pearl to complete the look!

I like the black pearl a lot, too. But that would be better with black blocks on the maple neck.

20. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Buy different guards and change with your mood...:D.

I really like the white pearl with the maple necks. You just can't go wrong with it. The tort looks good on the roswood necks as long as the tort is more of a chocolate brown tort...IMO.

Have I gushed lately how much I love my DJ5??? :bassist: