1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickguard on an L2K or 2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman10096, Oct 11, 2013.

1. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Anybody ever consider modding a G&L L2k or 2500 by adding a pickguard? I don't recall ever seeing this, but as I was looking at a pic of a natural ash 2500, a design for a tort guard occurred to me that I think would look good. It would require either longer neck pots and toggles or routing the top (so the pots and switches could mount through the guard (like a Fender). Or else there are some designs used on Lakland 55's that might be adaptable - that don't extend down to the controls. Anybody ever mutilate a perfectly good Tribute the way I'm thinking?:p:p

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Well
    No
    I placed a DiMarzio WillPower (neck) between 21st fret and front MFD ceramic (take a look to thread "show you three pickup basses")

Other than that, honestly never thought about a pickguard, bein' it for either L2000 or L2500

Yet, to be of any help... Take a look to Ibanez Srx530
    Ash body (3TS finish) and ceramic humbuckers

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    If I remember correctly, G&L puts pickguards on some of the L series basses sold in Japan, but not the US. I have no idea why.

It might be possible to get one of these.

A quick google search turned this up.
    tl2_ntbc_2.

4. bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Thanks. It's close to the look I pictured.

5. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    IMO, I think the L-1500 would benefit from a pickguard as it seems so "naked" without one in the pics I have seen of them. Of course, the Stingray and Sterling may have something to say about that! :D

6. bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    The single pickup L's do look a bit out of balance with all that flat wood.