1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard on Lakland 55-02 or no pickguard? (Photoshopped pics inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShowKing, Feb 18, 2008.

1. 55-02. 55-02pg.

2. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I really don't care if an axe has a guard or not though I to tend to prefer ones without them. I think your idea of a pickup guards looks ok but I think it would look better if you followed the right horn all the way up with the guard idea and rounded that bottom edge above the controls more to match the other side. I think that would look better. Or else just make the guard an oval shape on both sides.

3. it's actually a lakland pickguard
    not my own design lol
    thanks for your opinion :)

4. Without.

5. my personal preference . . . no pickguard. That wood is too beautiful to cover up, unless you have a non transparent finish, then I'd say what the heck, go for it. If you were set on a pickguard on a solid finish, I'd agree with StarscreamG1 that an oval pickguard would look best. Think musicman. Maybe you could have one custom cut?

6. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    I say with a pickguard...to me it just looks kinda different...in a good way

7. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    No guard.

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

I say without, but with looks cool too. Personally I'm a fan of plain black with white pearl on the 55-02's.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    unless there are other brands/styles available thats the same shape gard I got from Jeannies for my 55-01. Actually, Roger recommended I order a blk/cherry tort gard instead of my original order of a brown tort gard. I feel his recommendation looks very good on my natural body/maple board bass. But I too feel it does not really follow the lines of the bass as well as I hoped it would. Looks good, just feel the lower part of the gard sorta looks like it hangs off the body. Any other shapes available out there? Guess that'd require a real custom job. I'd never want a gard on my cherryburst 55-02D, looks too good without one.

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    :bag: Thats what I get!! LOL I know nothing about laklands other then they are more than I can afford :p. I wasn't sure if my opinion would count or not because of that but I thought a pick guard was a pick guard.. sorry!! :p

11. I like it! I may be a bit bias though.:ninja: (my 55-94)

Lakland_5594b.

12. evhest

evhest

Jun 10, 2006
    No pickguard. Definitely!

13. No.

/thread.

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    no guard, that top is too nice to cover.

15. Some 55-02's look really nice with guards but it takes the right color pickguard with the right top. With the top you have I wouldn't cover it up. If you wanted a guard on it I'd stick a clear one on. I have a 55-01D with the exact same tobacco burst quilted top and I wanted to stick a guard on mine but in the end I thought it was just too pretty to cover up.

16. was urs factory installed or put on yourself?

17. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    If your bass was a solid color, I'd say pickguard, because I love the classic look of it. But deluxe finishes can go both ways...if you're worried about your fingers messing up the finish while playing, get a clear one. Roger a Jeannie's is awesome.

IMG_0554.

18. lol i just like the look of white pearl pg's on 55-02. not really worried about the finish.

how come you chose the 44-01/55-02 pg from jeannies instead of the 55-94-02? just wondering.

19. I vote, no.

I really like the shape of the pickguard, but it would be a shame to cover up the beautiful top.

20. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    wow...until you mentioned it, i didn't even notice the difference. it's a good thing I haven't drilled the holes yet! jeez, I guess they just misunderstood when i ordered it. maybe I can return it. :eyebrow: