Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguard on vintage sunburst jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fong249, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I have a vint. sunburst jazz with a faux tort guard. my hardware will remaine chrome, the nut is black because it is being upgraded to a graphtec. what color pickguard do i go with? Do i change out the faux tort for some real tort to completel the look? Pearloid, Aged pearloid? It should be a conversation piece, while i like white and black, they're a little too plain. ANy ideas?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    'real tort' is illegal.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd go with aged pearl or tort.

4. i say, play it a week, with-out the p-guard. i took mine off to do some clean up, and i liked it. i vote , no guard. :cool:

5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Buy the most expensive, highest quality tort PG you can afford.

6. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    proper celluloid tortoishell rocks. the colours go al the way through.

7. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    well, i'd take it off to get that jaco look, but its top routed all the way through, no drill holes for the pickup wires to go through. so if i pulled that cover, i'd have an exposed, disgusting rout.

8. Tort Tort Tort

Its the ONLY way to go. Every other opionion is wrong

9. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    tort it is. best place to order a good tort guard?

10. or: www.highlystrung.co.uk a british shop with better prices IMHO

I have the same query actually.. but i ripped the tort guard off my Noel Redding Signature Jazz, and since it is a MIJ, no ugly routing! (yeah that nice Jaco look)

But, Tort= very classy vintage looks
    White pearl= ? Dont know really, but I think thats what I want for my other jazz, instead of the ugly white PG. I still havent found a pic och a 3TS with a white pearl guard. :(

Anyone have that picture?