1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickguard Opinion Wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertUI, Nov 30, 2005.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I have a JP-90 that I really love, but the looks of it are kind of annoying (with the bizarre pickguard). I have used my photoshop talents to create a new one, and wonder what everyone's thoughts are on it. I could go through chandler to get them to build it for me, so that would work. I used a mother of pearl pattern, but it could be any color/pattern combo. Thanks in advance!

Before:
    [​IMG]

and after:

[​IMG]

2. Diomedes

Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    I like the begninng one better. The other one looks like a strat.

3. I've seen those JP-90's on Ebay and have also read great things about them on the Internet.

If I were you, I'd get a pickguard in the same shape as the original but have it done in a different color/material. (IMO, A nice, rich tort would set that bass off nicely!)

If I were dead set on having a larger pg on that bass, I would use this bass as inspiration for my design.

Just my .02

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Get a Pbass shaped PG. So the jazz pickup doesnt have a pickguard around it, only the P one does.

5. I got a chance to hear one a few weeks ago and the tone is great. Especially for slap. Unfortunately, I hate the looks of it. What is under the pickguard? Is there a cavity there? If not, it would look much better without a pickguard in my opinion.

6. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I kinda like the J/P guard, I think it looks cool... I guess I'm just weird.

7. Yeah. Use the original style, but do that one in mother of pearl.

8. +1 or a red tort...the original PG is wierd and interesting...the other PG is just too run-of-the-mill, uninspiring.

9. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Thanks for the thoughts and notes. To answer a couple of questions:

The white (before) guard is NOT the original, the orignal is a flat black THIN guard that cracked very easily.

There is a cavity under the guard which pretty much requires that you have a guard around both sets of pickups. This alone is what makes the pickguard design so painful.

Thanks for the thoughts tho, it sounds like no one is a fan of the new design!

Rob