1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard opinions (roasted maple neck)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougjwray, Jan 13, 2021.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Being a proud individual who stands on his own two feet, I never thought I'd post one of these threads, but here goes...
    I recently picked up a new Fender Vintera P-Bass neck which will go on a black Squier body. The body hasn't arrived yet, so I can't post any pictures.
    The neck is fairly dark, of course, and it won't contrast much with the black body. For a pickguard, I'm thinking: white pearl, yellowish pearl, anodized gold or maybe black/white/black. 13 holes.
    What do you think, folks?
    I want to be the envy of all bass players, for owning such an eye-popping axe! ;)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Peter Torning likes this.
  2. What color is the hardware?

3. I have a black Jazz with a roasted neck and unlined Ebony fingerboard, black hardware.
    I had a black/wh/black pg on it, and quickly got bored. I installed a “vintage red tort” pg and like it more.
    But then again, this is my subjective approach...
    I don’t think a B/W/B pg will be all that “eye-popping”.
    4352269D-5165-4A88-BCF7-4977607B4816.jpeg

lomo, Thundertips, bordinco90 and 8 others like this.
  4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Chrome.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That looks great. Without the ebony fingerboard, though, my neck is more blah... Like coffee with cream in it. Halfway between rosewood and normal maple.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's a picture with it sitting on top of another bass of mine, which is black, just to give an idea. It appears lighter in the photo than it looks in "real life." It's really more of a caramel color.
    20210113_124704.jpg

7. Allegrus

Allegrus

Mar 13, 2019
    Ottawa, ON
    I would put a mirror pickguard on that combo if you really want to stand out.

instrumentalist likes this.
  8. I’m thinking the Anodized might look pretty cool on that....not too much contrast between the neck and PG, but enough contrast to the body.

9. the roasted neck looks maybe a shade darker than this vintage tint
    im21005173861fender-50s-precision-bass-black-maple.jpg

Peter Torning and BOOG like this.
  10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah, it's actually quite a bit darker, more like this:
    vintera.jpg
    The bass in your photo looks really, really nice.

11. I would think a matte black PG with the standard chrome screws would look pretty sweet with your chrome hardware. subtle but sweet.
    2 tone, black on black leading into your roasted neck accented with the chrome screws. I can picture it!

bassb66 and dougjwray like this.
  12. Either 2 ply w/b, or the w pearl, or some nice bold tort (not brown tort)

dougjwray likes this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Compared with black, I think you'll find that the neck will have decent contrast - assuming the fretboard is roasted maple. I'm playing a bsss right now with a roasted neck, and looking at the back of it next to a black body, yes theres plenty of contrast. If the fretboard is rosewood, you won't see much of the neck - just the headstock.

stuntbass77 and dougjwray like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    No Brainer:
    il_794xN.2390101591_rxru.jpg

skycruiser, Greg75, will503 and 2 others like this.
  15. White Pearl.

noahw1 and dougjwray like this.
  16. WillyWonka, SB300 and Killing Floor like this.
  17. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Gold pearl.

2sr1_zps150dc971-jpg.jpg

Attached Files:

18. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    Consulted with my wife who is a master of color. She is looking at my 1960 Guild Starfire III which has a black pickguard on a reddish-brown natural mahogany body. She suggests a reddish-brown pickguard. A brown tort might fit that bill. My thinking is pearl black.

dougjwray likes this.
  19. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    Wife update: Black abalone from Pickguards.com would be the cat's meow. PB62_435.jpg

20. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    Here's the black pearl:
    PB62_428BK.jpg

dougjwray likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021