1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard problem and material selection

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arranger, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 1999 US Jazz Deluxe with a white pickguard. All I want to do is change it to tortoise and I've bought two Fender factory pickguards that actually don't fit with the identical problem. There are gaps around the neck joint and the control plate with any of the replacement guards. I suppose my instrument is a one-of-a-kind. The factory guard fits perfectly. Now, I'm convinced that I'm going to have to go custom to get a tort guard replacement that fits correctly.

Does anyone know if my original pickguard would normally have been made of vinyl or celluloid? Is there a way I can tell?

Should I choose one material before the other?

I was going to give Terrapin Guitars a shot at making me a tort guard because they seem to have the correct material samples on their website.

Thanks for your advice! :)

2. ACRX

ACRX

May 28, 2009
    My guess is that the pickguard is not celluloid. I think that was only used standard many years ago.

I had a custom pickguard for a short scale bass done by Terrapin and they did a great job. A custom pickguard is more of an investment up front, but at least you know it will fit right.

3. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks ACRX. I've learned that Fender probably didn't use celluloid in many years.

Terrapin is very attentive on the phone and John answered all of my questions there, and more. He said he keeps a file for all customers for future orders and has material samples to send. I'm definitely going to give them a try.

I appreciate your help!