1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard Question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderGuy2112, Feb 18, 2008.

1. FenderGuy2112

FenderGuy2112

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi can anyone link me to a picture of a Fender Standard Jazz Bass without it's pickguard? I want to see what it looks like before I remove my jazz bass's pickguard.

Thanks,
    FenderGuy2112

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    there's alot of ugly routing underneath the pickguard iirc. If that's the case, i hope you're not planning to play it like that?

3. FenderGuy2112

FenderGuy2112

Feb 17, 2008
    No, I just want to get the dirt and grime out from my pickups - having the pickguard off would be a big help.
    Question, can I take the pickguard completely off, or will components be attached to it, like a p-bass? I'm 90% the pickguard just comes off...?

FenderGuy2112

4. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Depends which model - only the MIM Jazz has exposed routing from the neck pup to the control cavity IIRC. The MIJ and MIA can be played without the pickguards quite happily with no routing showing.

5. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    You can take the pickguard off on its own - the electronics are attached to the seperate control plate.

6. FenderGuy2112

FenderGuy2112

Feb 17, 2008
    Okay will do, yeah it's a mexican standard jazz bass.

Thanks for the help!

FenderGuy2112

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    k, just making sure. you shouldn't have any problems taking it off then.

8. unfortunately not true, MIA Jazzes at least standard ones have a huge well around the neck pickup