1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard screwhole stripped

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1940andy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    What should I do? I heard putting part of a toothpick in the hole works? How exactly does this work?

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    You can do a couple of things.

1. Get some wood putty and fill the hole. Maybe sand it very lightly after it dries to make it flush with the body. Then just screw it back in.

2. Toothpick/matchstick method: break up a toothpick or matchstick until you have just a little piece of one that will fit in the hole but not take up the entire space as far as width. I prefer using squared-off matchsticks because often you need to split them in half (or cut them in half with a knife) to make them narrow enough to fit right, and this seems easier with a square matchstick than a rounded toothpick. It needs to be just long enough to fit down in the hole. Next, just place the pickguard on and screw it down withthe screw filling the space the matchstick isn't.

The screw will grab and bite the little sliver of wood, making a tight fit.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    EDIT: mudslide types faster than me!

I've done this on strap button screws, but it should work for the pickguard as well.

Here's what I did:
    * I used the thin, flat type wood toothpick, but the slightly larger round ones should work too
    * broke off a piece of the toothpick the right length so it would fit all the way into the hole with none of the toothpick sticking out
    * put a little wood glue on the toothpick and placed it in the hole
    * inserted the screw and tightened it snugly (not too tight though-- be careful to just snug it up)
    * once the glue dries (overnight) your good to go!

It's a pretty easy fix, works perfectly, and is permanent. You should never have a problem with the screw again.

Best,

Matt

4. And yet another method: Get some clear 5 minute epoxy (comes in two parts that need to be mixed equally), mix it with fine sawdust, and fill the hole with it.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There is also a product that is like thin strips of metal "lemon zester" (small cheese grater) material- you cut a little piece off the strip, put it in the hole, and hey-presto, fixed. It works better than the toothpick method because the metal stuff bites into the wood of the hole, it won't slip or shrink. You can find the stuff at hardware stores, but I can't remember the name ATM (I bought a pack years ago and I haven't run out).

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Toothpick in hole.