Pickguard shinkage. Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kipik, Jan 8, 2004.

1. kipik

Aug 25, 2003
    I've got a '65 Precision that I'm thinking of selling and after taking the pickguard off for about five minutes (to check the dates on the pots), the pickguard shrunk enough to where I can't put the srews back in without seriously sressing the thing. Is there any way to stretch it so it fits? Would moving the mounting holes make it less valuable? TIA Kip Reed
  2. Well, by now everyone has read this so I assume they are a bit frightened at the prospect of offering the wrong advice for this so I'll take a crack - I'm just cocky enough to think I can help :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be to replace the pickguard with a REAL celluloid pickguard that closely matches the original. Use the same holes and things will be fine. When you sell the bass, include the original pguard with the sale and explain the reasons for doing it that way.

Celluloid pickguards are notorious for shrinking with age. The collectors know this, the buyers know this and IIRC, a replica, as long as it's totally correct and you've included the old one, won't devalue the bass.