1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickguard thumbrest ramp or nothing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garretibanez, Apr 2, 2009.

1. pickguard

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. thumbrest

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. ramp

15 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. nothing

90 vote(s)
    56.6%
  1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

which do you prefer on a bass?

2. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I rest my thump on my pickup, so I voted 'nothing.'

3. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

yeah thats what i meant by nothing I hope people understand thatsn what it means

I voted nothing as well

4. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I can't play without a ramp

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I use floating thumb, and rarely rest my thumb on anything, other than a string.

6. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    My thumb goes on neck Pickup, or E-string, or A-string, or end of the fingerboard. So I voted nothing too.

7. It depends on the bass.

I detest ramps with a violent passion because I prefer to have plenty of room beneath my fingers when i play, and I feel limited just playing over a pickup.
    Having a ramp isnt a "just because" kind of thing. It depends on your personal technique and whether or not you feel the need to have one.

I did my 2 Warmoth Jazz basses with only bridge pickups, so i had to put in thumbrests where the neck pickups were, so that i would still have the "edge of the pickup" area to anchor my thumb to when i play. Thumbrests are cool if you use them, but otherwise pointless.

Pickguards really depend on the bass. If you have a really nice piece of wood, don't cover it up with a piece of plastic.
    On the other hand, I have always found Jazz and Precision style basses to look weird without pickguards.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I always use a ramp but never rest my thumb on it. The idea behind this poll is pretty unclear :D

9. I use baconrests.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pfft, your bacon is around long enough for you to be able to rest your fingers on it? Rookie....

11. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

its not unclear to me, which would you prefer on a bass thumb rest ramp pickguard or nothing

12. whats a ramp?
    i'm seriously interested. have not heard the term.
    can somebody show a pic?

floating thumb for me. sometimes pickup, sometimes nothing, sometimes string.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They don't have anything to do with each other though, and you can have more than one on a bass. If you meant "what do you rest your thumb on?," it would have made a little more sense. As it is, you can have a bass with a thumbrest AND a pickguard and not rest your thumb on either, a bass with a ramp and a pickguard, etc.

[​IMG]

http://www.bryanrtylermusic.com/ramps.html

14. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I notice that without ramps, I migrate too close to the bridge to be effective sometimes. I've put ramps on all my basses in the last year.

15. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    I use my thumb to play a lot, but when using my fingers, on my 5'er I use the B string to rest my thumb. If I'm using fingers and all 5 stings, I'll rest my thumb on one of the pups, on the neck side corner. On my 4, using fingers only, I'll rest my thumb on a pup.

So my nothing vote translates to none of the above.

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I put my thumb on my bass' carrot.

;)

17. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    :cool: I have used a henweigh in the past

18. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

ah i see your point mr.whoopass. but people see the generall idea of the post

19. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I generally use the pickup, floating thumb, or occasionally the edge of the fretboard. A ramp could be nice, but I don't really care enough to put them on my basses.

20. Alright, I'm not gonna leave you hanging. What's a henweigh?