1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Russell L, May 26, 2011.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have an '87 Jazz Bass Special. Great sounding thing, it is. But, it's all black, all over, including the headstock and all hardware. I've always considered putting a pickguard on it to give it some color, but I'm not sure if it has a special body shape or not. The body looks like a Precision, but it has a P/J pickup set, two volume knobs, one tone knob, and one toggle switch for the pickups. If a standard Precision pickguard would fit around the neck and front pickup I'd be willing to modify it to fit the knobs and switch. Looks like the two volume knobs might be in the same place as the knobs on a Precision, but not sure. But, I'm just wondering if that would work. Does anyone know anything about the particulars of the body shape of this bass? It's Japanese.

Thanks for any help.

2. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I have a simular bass and "pickguardian" made me an awsome pickguard.I say awsome because it is thick like the ones on Entwistles bass's.I sent him the one that came with the bass and they both came home within 10 days.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks, Billy. My Special never had a pickguard, so it's a trick to try to make a pattern. If I could get that far I'd probably just go on and make the pickguard myself.