Pickguardian 60's Reissue Tort Pickguard (Precision Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Feb 9, 2009.

1. From my understanding Pickguardian has the most accurate 60's Fender repro guards out there. This includes color, material (nitro) and bevels. I ordered one up and am very impressed. I would suggest them to anyone looking for a killer tort guard. I wanted to not only show it off but show the difference between it and a modern Fender reissue tort. Sorry that the pictures are a little dark.

comparison.gif

pickguardian.gif

2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Whoa! FIVE polepieces per half-coil? Why?

Sick guard, btw.

3. Yeah it is a weird pickup. It is made by Bill Lawrence and you can find some info on it on his site. Basically the string aligns over the middle pole like a standard P pickup and then there is a pole on either side as well like a jazz. It is supposed to give it string coverage similar to a blade magnet pickup.

The weird thing is that it sounds really really good. Everyone that plays it is amazed at how it sounds. Very full vintage sound.

I just bought a Fralin to put in ONLY because I want to maintain the vintage look.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    zzIMG_0555.jpg
    resizedmaryanne.jpg
    ZZIMG_0159.jpg

New vs. Genuine Vintage (64) vs. Pickguardian.

The Pickguardian stuff in close, but it's not quite as thick as my original 64 guard, not quite as red, and the bevel isn't quite as steep on the new guard.

Very nice stuff Tony puts out, and it's probalby as close as you're likely to find.

When I had Tony do this custom one for me, I asked specificly for the closest he could get to the real deal. Came out pretty good IMO.

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    How comes I don't see the metal shield sticking out from the edge of the pickgaurd?
    Every old Precision I've owned had considerable shrinkage that allowed the sheetmetal to show.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You can see it plain as day on my 64 around the top middle screw.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021