Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickguardless Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christle, Oct 27, 2004.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Today I picked up a Highway 1 Sunburst Jazz (pics to follow soon) to compliment my Sunburst Precision. Anyone ever take the pickguard off of a Jazz and go without? I wasn't sure if the screw holes looked all that attractive and was curious if the finish would chip easily at the screw holes.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. BTW, the thing plays like a dream and sound excellent. I now have the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. :hyper:

2. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Here's my pickguardless MIM Jazz bass. Wires and pup routs showing and everything! CLASSY!

(P.S. Vaginas ARE way cool!)

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Here's my '66J.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That Jacko guy from that band... the Weather.. um.. men... or something... He did it ;) :D

Seriously, it's not that uncommon to see a pickguard-less Jazz. If you want to change (ie: improve) the look of it though, another option might be another pickguard. Is it white? Because white pickguards often look bad on sunburst finishes. Go for tortise-shell or perhaps black.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Dude, who did your finish, that looks tight!

6. No kidding, that looks wicked! How the hell did you do that? :confused:

7. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Sorry for the bad photo, I need to do another.

Mike Dolan did the exceptional finish. And his price was right! Of course I lost around $2k in value for having had it done, but I NEVER liked that original sunburst finish, and after 16 years I bit the bullet and had it done.

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thumper and Stevious those are really nice looking basses! I think I am going to go without for now.

Dan, I knew someone would bring up Jaco :), you are right about the white p/g. It looks terrible on Sunburt. What was Fender thinking? :rolleyes:

I love the bass but the white has to go. I may look at getting a tort guard, there is something about it that looks good. The idea of a black p/g is also enticing.

Question for Thumper, are there plugs in the screw holes or are they left as is?

Dan

9. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Dan, I just put the screws in the holes, snug but not tight. I left the ashtray holes empty. So far no problem, but I don't play 4s much either.

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    With a collection like yours I am not surprised :D. I have decided my Jazz is going naked afterall.

Thanks for the responses and the pics!