Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PickGuards for P's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a Noob here so please excuse my ignorance. I want to replace my pcik guard on my 98 P bass (pictured in the attachement). My questions are:
    - where can I buy one online
    - Do I go with the real deal Fender or should I try the Stuart MacDonald one that I saw. Is the quality and nounting the same as the Fender ones?
    - My 98 P Bass has a "thumb holder" (is that what it's called?) to the upper left of the pickups (please see attached pic). I want to get rid of this. Will there be an issue because the mounting screws appear to be larger than the ones holding the pick gaurd on and it appears that if I get a new pick guard without the the mounting hold for this "thumb hold" will it work and will the smaller screws go into this whole, etc????

Thanks much!!!!

2. Quadzilla

Opps, here it is.....
    :D :D :D

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...it's usually referred to as a 'Thumb rest' ....

Another alternative (that I've used) for pg's is WD Music .

They have lots of choices ......

Good Luck :D

PJR

here's your pic :

[​IMG]

4. I just got a SWEET tort. shell p-bass pickguard from a place in Mass. called www.Guitarstop.com

The woman who helped me as super nice and responsive. I highly recommend them! I placed my order and received the pickguard in 3 days.

Personally I like the thumb rest as I just put one on my p-bass. Maybe I'll take it off one day, but for now I like it.

Later -
    K.

5. y0 :D

The thumbrest thingy is easy..
    just get a new pickguard + screws.
    remove the old pickguard, and put the new one ( minus the thumbrest ) on :)
    don't worry if the screw-holes are too big for the screws.. just stuff some toothpicks in it, then screw the pickguard on. Invisble and practical solution :D

6. Quadzilla

Thanks AllodoX and everyone else that gave me input here. I ordered a tort with black screws. I always loved how the old J basses looked with sunburst with a tort (did they make P's with that setup?). So that is what mine is going to be, a sunburst P with black screws and a tort. Hope it looks good!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. Im pretty sure that the thumb rest is installed over a screw. You shouldn't have to do anything other than put the new pickguard on!

Should be lookin' cool! Thats exactly what I did with mine! Its also a sunburst with a Tort. shell pickguard... except that I have a maple fretboard ... looks sweet!

Where did you end up ordering the pickguard from?

Later -
    k.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    whoa, whoa, whoa! whats with the roll eyes? Theres nothing wrong with having a hot-looking bass.

9. Quadzilla

Damn, by the time I read your response Keith I had already ordered one from Stewart MacDonald-->StuMac Pickguards Link
    and spent 5 or 6 bucks more than the link you gave me :( :( . Oh well, that's life. I just hope the StuMac ones are of good quality (anybody know??). As for the rolled eyes lo-end, I just hope she looks good with tort as opposed to white. Speaking of which Keithconn, can you post a pic (or email me one) of yours (quadzilla69r@excite.com)??
    Thanks!!!!

10. Sure - I'll do it when I get home from work ...

Don't worry ... it looks great!

Later -
    K.

11. Quadzilla

Damn, by the time I read your response Keith I had already ordered one from Stewart MacDonald-->StuMac Pickguards Link
    I just hope the StuMac ones are of good quality (anybody know??). As for the rolled eyes lo-end, I just hope she looks good with tort as opposed to white. Speaking of which Keithconn, can you post a pic (or email me one) of yours (quadzilla69r@excite.com)??
    Thanks!!!!

12. Quadzilla

Thanks Keith!!!
    :D :D :D

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think that tortoise shell pickguard is the best for any bass.go to mightymite.com.they have them for $20.

14. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
  15. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The Warmoth tort looks much better (more vintage-correct) than the Stew Mac tort. The Stew Mac stuff is kinda orangish with the pepperoni look goin' on! Sell it on eBay (or send it back) and buy one from Warmoth...I think they're only $28 and they're made from actual celluloid, not cheap plastic.

16. I can't get my picture up here ... It keeps telling me my file is too big.

Also - anyone know how to insert a picture directly into this message part of the post?

Thanks-
    K.

17. Quadzilla

Two things:

1. To get the message up here and it's gotta be under 50k. So if you want to post it here, you have to edit it (MS Paint, Imaging, or 3rd party app) and shrink it.

2. Can you email the one you have at Quadzilla69r@excite.com ?

Thanks again,
    Quad

18. Quadzilla

Keith,

I gave you the wrong email address in the above reply (which I just edited and corrected). Please sent the pic to Quadzilla69r@excite.com. Also, were you able to edit the pic down to below 50k for the group here to see?

Thanks,
    Fred

19. Its at home ... I'll try again tonight.

20. Another place to look for miscellaneous parts is Ebay. I just got a black pickguard for my black P (I love the black on black look) for $9.99. I got another white one for $0.11. I'm addicted to ebay. I got a P-J style body for $16.50 for my frankenbass, a bass EQ pedal for $10.50, and a set of tuners for $3.00 (on Yahoo auctions).

Normally you can find stuff cheaper there than from companies like Warmoth and Stew Mac.