1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickguards

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LT131, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Is it possible to make a nice looking pickguard without a router? If so, how?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Sure, cut it out with a handsaw or jigsaw, and use a file to smooth the edges and then give them a bevel. Sand them smooth with 400ish grit and you're good to go. Probably best to do all of this with the protective plastic still on the pickguard blank. The whole thing is time consuming, but works perfectly. I did many like this years ago before I discovered the joy of using a router and template... :D

JIO likes this.
  3. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thanks. I have access to a router but the thought of making a template for a one-off seems a little much. Which way works best in your opinion?

Thanks for the input.

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A nice template takes time to make and once done the routing takes minutes and does a pro job (will still need some finishing detail) As @Beej describes can also look very nice if you are patient and detail oriented - more hands-on work involved.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wouldn't a template make a consistent bevel much easier to achieve?

6. For the time you'd take cutting and beveling the PG by hand, you could probably cut yourself a really amazing template. Cutting it with a pickguard with a template and a router only takes a few minutes.