Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickguards...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thetaurus, May 7, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i want to put a black pickguard on my mia jazz bass (natural/maple). the store in my area was only able to get an 11 hole pickguard from fender. the 11th hole being in the middle above the neck pickup. so i starting thinking that this will look cool. my question is...will it make much of a difference in the overall tone of the bass? i know it's minimal, but i'm just wondering. also...will it be a big deal when/if i put the old pickguard on to leave the hole and have it covered by the old pickguard? please let me know. thanks.

2. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    if this is a serious question the answer is no,the amount of wood dis-placed or left un-filled will not affect the tone of your bass,i had a mex jazz and i put an aftermarket p/gaurd on it and had to make 6 new holes and left 6 holes empty, and my bass sounded the same,i'm new to this site but not to the bass DIY world and was'nt sure if this was a 'JOKE QUESTION" minimal wood dis-placement will not affect the tone nor will empty screw holes its to little to make any sound dif.:meh:

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    whoa dude...a simple "nope...don't sweat it" would've been fine.

4. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    at first thought it was a "goof" or "trick question"it wouldnt be the first time i've seen one.so i appoligize if i offended you in anyway:bawl:

5. :eek:

walks away confused. Weirdest Question thread in Setup for a long time hehe.

then again... it is a monday

:D:D

Merls

6. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    me three,at first i was not sure he was serious or not,but i know now!:(

7. Dont take it to heart... As moderator i have learnt to take nothing to heart....

:bawl: does TB offer Therapy? hehe

Merls

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    sorry i'm not so qualified as all of you.

9. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    t tried to appologize and if you had seen what was said to me in a previous post you would thank me for what i said,i know what its like to be dogged on thats why i appologized and did'nt go at it w/ you,if you want to get technical it was kind of a silly question now was'nt it?:meh:
    how could displacing wood that weighs less than a gram effect the tone of your bass?i could see if you routed a extra p-up cavity or something similar but a SCREW HOLE ?:confused: come now it is a tad neurotic no?:eek: dont take things so personal here there are people here that will push your buttons big time if you let them(I WAS STUPID AND LET THEM:mad: )believe me never let these guys see you sweat.on the other hand there were far more people who took the time to be supportive and explain to me what i explained to you,AGAIN I AM SORRY I MISENTERPETED WHAT YOU WROTE AS A "TRICK QUESTION" if you would like to privetely mail me and give me a good once over feel free,i wont retaliate;)

10. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    sorry...i guess i've just been in a pissy mood lately.

the reason for the question is becuase from what i've heard, it seems that any kind of permanent modification done to your bass, as little as it may be, would be a change. again, as little as it may be. i'm not arguing whether or not it would change it...that's why i asked, and then you answered. thanks for that. i guess i'm just saying what my reason for asking was.

11. Comes in... Boys! Boys! PUT THAT DOWN!

Are we all okay? If this is becoming heavy can we all work this out via PM?

Merls