Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickin'

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by davebassclef, Oct 31, 2001.

1. davebassclef

davebassclef

Oct 31, 2001
    Houston
    Hi I'm kind of a beginner/early intermediate and need advice. I simply can't do fingerstyle. I can only seem to use a pick. I feel that I play much better and more naturally when using a pick. I see that most bassists use fingers is why I'm asking. Any advice on picking style? ie..technique, types of picks, playing the strings, anything in general. Thanks :)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Dave,
    Sorry, but I myself do not use a pick. It would do you an injustice if I tried to answer it.

Mike

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Thinking that you simply can't play fingerstyle is simply wrong IMO. It's a technique and you should be able to learn it if you want to learn it.

Now, there's nothing wrong with pick playing either if that's what you want to do. Go to the link below for more info on pick playing and instructional materials. Carol is also good about returning e-mails if you wish to directly pose a question.

http://www.carolkaye.com/

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Carol is a wonderful resource. I still have her series of books that I studied from nearly 30 years ago. Carol like many other teachers/authors (sounds like me) often times have a "my way or the highway" attitude. I have found that in some of her posts. Take everything she has to offer but don't let her word be the definitive statement - look to many pros for similar ideas. I just recieved a cut of hers on the new Bassics magazine CD. She did one of my favorite tunes, "Valdez in the Country" by Donnie Hathaway.

I hope I was diplomatic enough.

Mike

5. davebassclef

davebassclef

Oct 31, 2001
    Houston
    Thanks for the advice. It's been my experience in learning that when you say you pick, people say "You pick a BASS?????!!!" like I just vomited on them or something. I was told that picking is tougher, so I got discouraged with finger style because it was supposed to be easier. Thanks again. :)