Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

picking a 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tdogg, Jan 2, 2002.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i really want to add some warmth and punch to my setup. i was thinking about switching my carvin 4x10 for another brand, i've heard of plenty of guys doing this and keeping the carvin head. eventually i'll probly switch out the 1x15 also but the 4x10 is first considering that i use it much more often. i decided to go with two 2x10's because i often play smaller venues and i would like to be able to mix and match my cabs a little more. here are the brands that i am considering as of now; eden, aguilar, mesa, swr , bag end. i want a little more punch and alot more warmth. a tube pre is probably next. keep in mind that i will most often pair this with a 1x15 so huge bottom end is not a necesity, but if i could go all tens and keep the low stuff i could handle that too. thanx

one more thing....any other cab suggestions? trace elliot? epifani?

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    if 'warmth' is what you seek, i would suggest
    that SWR and Eden are more modern and not
    really 'warm' (i've had both).

i think the aguilar 2x10 is a good choice and
    the prices are quite reasonable.

3. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Genz- Benz 2x10xb. Portable like a 2x10, sounds like a 4x10. I would also recommend looking into Epifani or bergantino. If you have a lot of power, you might even try the Acme Low B!

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've got a pair of custom Flite Sound cabs that I absolutely love. I sold my Eden 210XLT's for them and don't regret it a bit.
    It doesn't hurt that the Flite's weigh about 30lbs each...

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    what are the websites or contact addresses for these companies? btw thanx for the help.....aguilar is looking pretty tempting right now but im still short on the cash so we'll see once i get to try a few more . thanx again

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hi tdogg, I really like the Eden D210xlt. BUT I picked up an older Bag End D10X-D (2x10) and that little cab just smokes. It's rated for 400 watts with peaks at 800 watts! That little cab just seems to invite me to give it some juice. It sounds unbelievably huge and nice with a Sadowsky open B string. Bass Northwest seems to have these cabs show up used every 2 or 3 weeks, on their website. Just my two cents.

7. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Why? Clarke, Miller, Bailey and me!

8. personally I like the mesa road ready 2x10...good lows,good highs,tough as nails.....really the last word said in cabs for a bassist that gigs a lot...not the lightest cab out there,but thats why they sound so good..there a very versetile cab

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Mesa kicks @$$!

10. I think the Mesa is real good, and i love the road ready option, but...the highs really aren't that good. It just stops at a certain point. SWR and Eden are nice because they have great lows and highs.

11. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i think if i had a tube amp that i might be more inclined to go with swr or eden. but im 1k watt ss and i need a cab that has a little less of a modern tone but still has the big power handling. aguilar and bag end are both looking very enticing right now but i cant find out where i cant try them both myself. if anyone knows of shops in the minneapolis,mn area that sells these brands please let me know...thanx