1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Picking a band name

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ron Johnson, Jul 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    My new band was offered a gig recently, and we need to come up with a name soon. Over the past few days I've written down ideas as they came to me, and now we have to choose one of 26 names I've thought of.
    Is there some website where you can look up a name and see if it's taken? I found one that claims to do that, but every single name I put in was considered unique by it. I figured that wasn't possible, so I typed in some well-known bands and they came up as not taken as well.

Also, have any of you ever changed your band's name? I'd much rather have sufficient time to come up with a perfect name, but I'm afraid that whatever I come up with will not be satisfying in the future and I'll want to change it. Does it confuse fanbases to change your name?

I want a name that is memorable, easy to say/spell, and clinching. I think two long syllables would be good. Am I looking for the right qualities in a name? How have you chosen your names?

2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Try googling <band name> tour dates.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Or just <band name> band, and you should find out quickly...

hrodbert696 likes this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you google some band names, you will find duplicates all over the country. As long as they are not within you gigging area, don't worry about it.

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, it's REALLY hard to come up with something totally original and not just random words.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, check on google, and avoid anything that plays in a market where you're likely to find yourself playing. I have a music notebook with forty or fifty ideas for band names scrawled inside the back cover. I once went and googled them and found that maybe seven were not taken by somebody somewhere.

7. Here are some that made our finals list off the spreadsheet before we chose "Hell yeah an the Maybes":

90 Tons of Thunder
    Yield to Grace
    Oso and the Trap
    Around the Binge
    Drunk & Orderly
    Backtalk & Slap
    New:
    THe blue bullets
    Bendersmyth
    HamerSmyth
    Long Hammer
    Ban Hammer
    Garage Bender
    Rock Bottom
    Inebriated
    Antihistimine Diesel Leiutenants
    2 finger Six Gun
    Crashing Sunday
    Crasher
    Rock em sock em Robots
    Long Bar Crashers
    Octane Crashers
    also Magnificent love dogs (music and wrestling)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    ezra1 likes this.
  8. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the tips guys! We decided to use the name "Mythras". As in the mysterious god Mithras, but with 'myth' inside of it.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Thank heavens you didn't go with "Mothras"...that could've potentially upset the planet's axis once again. ;)

10. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I may have to sample this one

11. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Unfortunately I'd say a lot of these names are better than the one you chose. Personally, I don't like goofy names that are too long and don't tell about the band.
    There is also a pretty big metal band named Hellyeah.

12. Well!! I would say 'that is just like....your opinion man"
    dude2.

Ron Johnson likes this.
  13. Naming a band after an original band song is always a great idea. Aside from that, I try to stay away from name references that insinuate that the band is a bunch of washed up beer drunks hanging out in the garage.