Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Picking a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deekortiz3, Sep 19, 2004.

1. deekortiz3

deekortiz3

Sep 19, 2004
    Hey
    I have been playing on and off with a friends silvertone bass and it is about time i get my own i want a cheap starter bass. I want a 4 string 34" scale

I have narrowed it down to 5

ESP B-154
    Ibanez GSR200
    Ibanez RD300
    Peavey Millennium
    Washburn XB120

I am leaning toward the esp or the washburn but i need some more advice on what to get. If you have any others i should consider thats fine too.

Thanks

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to say GSR200. I have one and I love it. For the price I think it's one of the best basses you can buy. But keep in mind I don't have any experience with the other basses.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Out of those i would actually go with the ESP hands down over the Washburn, the Washburn would be my last choice, well that or the GSR200.

But the ESP seems nicest.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You're right the ESP does look nice. My suggestion would be to try as many of the basses as you can and see which one you like before buying. Don't rely on someone else's oppinion.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Obviously you have to go with what works for you. Ideally, you would want to go to a store and play all the basses you're considering before deciding on one. Ideally, through the amp your going to be using. And Ideally to the kind of music you'll be playing. Solo sound of a bass tells you nothing except how it sounds solo and it's been my experience that as a rule the better a bass sounds solo, the worse it plays to music. Other factors to consider are:

Weight
    Comfort
    Balance
    Playbility
    Pup configuration/electronics (There are probably more J pups out there than the rest combined - if you choose to change your tone)
    Popularity/Color/Resale value

If you buy from a store make sure they don't get the cash till they set the bass up to your liking. If you're going to buy a bass site unseen then you'd want an acceptable return policy. Read all the reviews you can find on the basses you're interested in and take a stab from that. If buying off ebay than you really want to buy from someone with an established track record (in selling basses not baseball cards) at a price you can break even on (ideally including shipping) in case you don't like it.

6. deekortiz3

deekortiz3

Sep 19, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys

Im now thinking my price range may change. I have a NJ BC Rich warlock i am considering trading in to get some more money and possibly get a higher end bass that i can keep for a very long time. If i do get some more cash i will probaly get a nicer ESP and a very nice amp.

Please keep the replys coming its very helpful
    Thanks

7. deekortiz3

deekortiz3

Sep 19, 2004
    Well guys i went to a music shop and found a great deal on a Schecter Elite 4 :hyper: . I can get it almost straight across in a trade with my bc rich. This was way out of my price range. I was lucky the shop was supposed to close at 6 i went at almost 8 and the owner was still there and let me play it and stuff. Im probaly getting that with either a 30 or 50 watt crate amp. I have to take my guitar in tommarow and see what happens.

Any advice

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I had a Schec Elite 4. I wanted to try a neckthrough. Frets had been dressed and the bass had been very well cared for. Wasn't too heavy, fairly comfortable, and played like butter. Good craftsmanship. A big plus for me was it had a huge control bay. Great for 18v electronic upgrades with room to spare. Came with Bart M34C's and passive electronics so don't know what the stock active electronic EMG setup sounds like. Sold after I routed my Ibanez basses and didn't need it. The issue with a neckthrough is that you get more of a compressed tone from it, it's not as bright as a bolt-on, and if anything happens to the neck you're pretty much SOL. Good to have a hardshell case for any consistent transport with a bass but especially an NT or hollow body.

Also had an ESP "whatever" - one of the poplular low-end jobs. Felt heavy with an interesting but very dark tone with limited application.

I still have 3 Ibanez GSR 200's that have been routed. They weigh between 6 and 7lbs, very comfortable, well balanced, and the necks are good enough for the low tension TI Jazz flats I use.